Setups my new used gear

wolfman76

Well it is 5.8ghz but hey you gotta start somewhere.. Now to figure out what goes where and how it is powered?

ForumRunner_20130807_171313.png

I can either use goggles the 7" screen or connect it to my laptop.... Let the learning begin... Lol

ForumRunner_20130807_171313.png

Derek

I've been looking into getting a 5.8ghz setup, too. I'm kinda torn though between the 5.8 and 1.2. Choices, choices.

I may have to make the drive up to see you. I'd like to see this set up of yours.

Tony

Staff member
If you fly 5.8, then you will NOT be able to fly behind trees. The lower the Ghz, the better it can see through objects.

Tony

Staff member
You could run 900Mhz with the 2.4Ghz Tx. I think (not sure, not an fpv guy) the fpv will out-range the Tx if you do that. Depending on the mw's that is.

Karubah

I'm jealous. I know they say 5.8 is a bit dodgy but you have to start somewhere and starting out I don't think you would be doing a great deal of tree dodging until you get familiar with it. Glad your the one working out what goes where and how to power it and at what voltage.lol

wolfman76

I've been looking into getting a 5.8ghz setup, too. I'm kinda torn though between the 5.8 and 1.2. Choices, choices.

I may have to make the drive up to see you. I'd like to see this set up of yours.

I would be fine with that just pick a weekend let me know and COME ON UP!!!!!! Lol

Stambo

Yea I have been wondering if I could use the 900Ghz with my 2.4 but I really don't know if it will work

900Ghz, that would be worse than 5.8Ghz. :p
Now if we are talking 900Mhz that would be more like it.
You do need to be careful that whatever you use, it is legal to do so where you are.
Also the lower the frequency the larger the antenna required.

@mountaindewdude76 I am told 1.2Ghz does not play nice with 2.4Ghz radio gear as apparently there is a harmonic that can upset your control signals.
Put it this way, you have a 1.2Ghz transmitter (video tx) in close proximity to a 2.4Ghz receiver on your aircraft, which may overpower the signal coming from your 2.4Ghz control transmitter. Result bad, very bad. :)

Derek

That's true, Stambo.....1.2 will not play nice with 2.4. I'll be using a 1.2 video system with my 72mhz Futaba Tx. That way I should have all the range that I want and I can fly behind trees and stuff.

Tasajara

Yep 1.2 and 2.4 are a no go ...LOL That is why I use 433MHz with my 1.2 system. 900Mhz works great with 2.4 radios, and will fly behind obstacles with in reason.
I use both 5.8Ghz and 1.2Mhz.. 5.8 ends up being my aerial and line of sight stuff.
the 1.2 for longer range and all around flying. The 900Mhz in a 200mw has as much range as a 500mw 5.8Ghz. also the lower the mw VTX the better your radio signal will be .
It don't have to fight over a high powered video transmitter to keep connected.
I have flown a 5.8 600mw video transmitter and it killed my radio link when I got out pretty far.
I had great video but lost control of my multirotor. I swapped to a lower power 5.8 VTX and got good range but didn't lose my radio control near the same distance.
So the high power will be screaming video all over the top of the 2.4 radio. Just a thought when choosing a setup. Plus think of this... a lower powered system will be better for this reason.
I would much rather start to loose my video signal before I loose control/
I can turn around if the video gets weak, but you don't have that option if the radio signal gets weak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom