ESC My HW ESC

trainrider06

Is pretty dang hot!
Had a pack I needed to burn down so I decided to check out my governor I had set, well checked it after just hovering it in idol 1 pretty much, shut her down, and it was hot! Ideas???

Tony

Staff member
how hot is hot? There are some that say 100ºF is hot to them. My cutoff is 100ºC (212ºF). Anything over that, and it's time to figure out why it's getting hot.

What is your motor pulling and what is the ESC rated at?

Smoggie

It's counter intuitive but if you were running low governor % for a low headspeed and just hovering at low load then that actually puts more load on the ESC than running flat out does.

Are you using the fan that comes with the ESC?

Tony

Staff member
2-3 seconds usually equates to about 200ºF. Try flying it with the governor off and see if that cools it down.

Smoggie

The governor should really cause the ESC to get any hotter than the same headspeed 'non-governed' would do, especially if all you were doing was hovering. What % throttle curve have you got it flying at and what PWM frequency have you got set? (higher PWM works the ESC harder)

A 'real' temperature reading would be useful because 'it feels hot' is very subjective and could mean very different things to different people.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Turn on active freewheeling if its not. That will allow you to run lower head speeds without burning up the esc.

murankar

Staff member
Its a feature that allows the ESC to handle unused current more effectively. I dont know the science behind it but I do know that if you turn it on it will allow the ESC to run cooler at lower throttle. It should be an option if you have a HW Platinum.

Not all ESCs have this feature. Castle for instance uses passive freewheeling while scorpion doesn't have any freewheeling in it. if you leave a Scorpion ESC plugged in and not running a motor you WILL burn it up. Castle will stay cool under those conditions while a hobbywing should not get above ambient if active freewheeling is turned on.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Here is a link to thread: http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t775932p1/

This was posted by:

EEngineerElite Veteran
TX
My Posts: All Forum Topic

On rc groups:

As was posted, the term "freewheeling" (FW) is a term used to describe the use of a diode to snub the back EMF voltage spike that occurs when an energized coil has its voltage/current source turned off by the device driving the motor coil(the FETs).
Without the diode, the voltage spike is severe enough to damage or destroy the FETs in the ESC that drive the brushless motor coils.This technique has been used for ages in many applications other than ESCs.Nowadays, with regards to ESCs, FW can be divided into two categories...."passive" FW as described above....and "active" FW."Active" FW describes the use of another FET to act as diode, instead of using a diode....which has advantages over "passive" FW.A FET can be turned on/off under the control of the ESCs microcontroller....and its "on" resistance is in units of milliohms.This minimal "on" resistance means that less power is dissipated during the time it's turned "on" to snub the back EMF voltage spike as compared to the power dissipated by a diode using "passive" FW.One of the results is that the ESC runs cooler as a whole.Active FW is usually only found in higher end ESCs like Kontronik's, while CC uses passive FW.A matter of cost...due to the additional circuitry and ESC control programming.And most quality ESCs(not Eflite), whether using "passive" or "active" FW, use "banks" of lower current but very high voltage FETs to distribute the current to each of the motor coils.One can get either high-current/low voltage FETs or lower-current/high voltage FETs...but not both high-enough-current/high-enough-voltage FETs...to do the job properly....and come in a device package size that is compact.Another advantage of active FW over passive FW is that the ESC has the ability of determining the motor timing automatically, so that one doesn't have to program the ESC for that situation.FWIW

Tony

Staff member
haha, yes he does. You are going to look really good in that....... Okay, I will leave the rest of that up to the imagination hahahaahahahaha :lmao:

Top Bottom