General My First plane

Well guys I crossed over the fence from Heli to planes. I order a NexSTAR 46 to start and should be in tomorrow. Someone at my flying field gave me an OS MAX AX .46 motor he had, he said he never used it. The plane needs standard servos, I was looking at TowerPro MG958 or Savox SC-0352 any other recommendation? For receiver planing on using an AR7610 that I have.

Juan

Tasajara

I have never done gas planes, But have done large gas conversions. I did a Rascal 110 on 10s lipo and used Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servos, they worked great.
As long as you have a Torque rating of 44 oz-in (3.2 kg-cm) at 4.8V you should be fine for the plane you listed. The ones you listed should have more 2 times the torque needed by this plane.

mooserider

I know I'm late to this thread, but wanted to chime in. I'm in the opposite boat; new to helis, but have flown planes since I was 14 (I'm 41 now). Just keep in mind that planes don't have the same stress factors that helis do. They really don't need fancy, special, metal geared servos and such, unless you're flying something that in the 90 size+ range. Even then... you don't get the 'push back' from control surfaces like you do with helis. Especially on something like a NexStar. Things like a rudder you can lose completely and land no problem. I've even laded on one aileron servo (probably twice before I realized how slugish the turns are). Anyhow, don't blow your money on fancy servos IMO for planes.

RandyDSok

I disagree with mooserider... I try to invest in equipment that will last, retains it's centering and that will help me keep my planes flying to help protect the investment I've made in them. If weight is a concern, I may drop back to a carbonite type gear... but I don't like nylon or how it wears out quickly.

trainrider06

One of these days I may make the crossover and try planes, so right now I know not much about planes. I can say however that it would make sense to run the better equipment in ones higher end aircraft, or if you have a particular favorite to fly no matter the value. But if it's something not so expensive, and if one is just getting into the particular hobby, I wouldn't recommend dumping a bunch of money into the best of the best. At least this is how it was when I first got into heli's....as many times as I tried to drill those poor first heli's into the ground, I'd been broke, and very peeved paying a lot of money for good parts for my foolishness. So I can see the point of both sides here.

mooserider

I'm certainly not trying to dissuade someone from buying quality equipment. It's just within the context here... starting with a trainer, and being realistic I think a few crashes are likely. My first few planes were 20 and 40 size trainers and mid wings. Had an old 4ch Futaba that cost me about $100 back in the late 80s, and I never once had to buy a replacement servo, after many, many crashes. Even nosed-in a super sportster at full throttle and the electronics were fine.

However, I realized after posting this that things may be different for electric folks. All I've ever flown is nitro planes, so the power needs on an electric plane could be very different.

I'm working on a nitro 90 size bipe right now. I got a YS110 to put in it and you can bet I'm certainly going to have nice radio equipment and servos in it!

Cheers all!

Top Bottom