General My first complete setup heli...Needing some check!!!

mariorope

Hello everyone,

I have just finish my set up for my TREX 450 Pro DFC:beerchug:

However I would like to explain some steps I did and my configs just to check if everything is ok here. I also have some questions.

First of all I got into the DIR mode and there I did the swash plate leveled with the servo arms 90º. Then I found the 0º pitch on mid stick and adjusted everything to get the same amount of positive and negative. After the pitch blade settings I complete the next steps in the DIR settings (elevator and aileron...no doubts on this). After that I got into Gov settings and did the throttle up and down to set the throttle limit.

Then I got into tail settings. I centered the tail in the rate mode and I selected the following options (I did all this process with no subtrim and no travel adjust:
1 - green 1520
2- green DS
3 - Here I have found something different. I have watched many videos discussing, teaching and setting up the the tail on the 3GX, including the best 3GX settings tutorial from Tony. That one was really amazing. Helped me in every step. I saw in all videos that when I am moving the tail to the left, the tail slide should move to the right. But in this helicopter, it is different. I had a problem trying to spin it up. Tail was not holding, but going to the side I was sticking to. Then I realized that I should reverse this option in my case. So, my tail slider now runs to the left when I tilt it to the left ( If someone has the same model, please confirm that just to make me more confident with this change I did).
4 - I set the limits very well, going with the slider exactly until it touchs the end travelling point.
5 - I tried to set the delay without the software. As soon as the light turned red I pressed the button. I do not have the cable yet. But a friend of mine has sent one to me and I will re-check it later on (it will probably take 3 weeks to get here).

Then I followed all the recommendations from Tony`s video to set the flight mode.
1 - 15
2 - 15
3 - 15
4 - 70
5 - 0

As soon as I finished the set up I realized that the rudder limit is set but I am using only about 20% of my stick to get in the end. Then I went to my adjust travel option in my DX6i and lower the travel for rudder to about 20% way. I am thinking about doing the same with my aileron and elevator as I am not using the whole range of my sticks. At about 3/4 and 1/4 are the points where I get the whole servo movement.

My first question is: Can I adjust this travel function as I am doing? If not, how can I make my stick works in full range?

My second question is about the expo function in the DX6i. Can use expo in all servos (ail, ele and rud)? This question may seem to be stupid but why should I need to adjust expo if I get it in the flight mode settings (at least I understood it)?

I would like also to confirm my DX6i settings. If someone notice something not good here, please let me know before I crash!!!! lol

D/R EXPO

ail 100 + 20
ele 100 + 20
rud 100 + 20

Travel Adj

Rud 20% both ways
plainng to set up ele, aile and pitch until end point to get full stick range.(?????)

SubTrim

I have subtrim settings different from 0 in all my servos. I think it is normal as we have to put it at 90º.

Gyro

Rate SW-Gyro
0 65%
1 35%

Here I have another question. But I would something more practical, because I have read a lot of theory on this matter but I could not understand what it will in fact do in the field. Of course, I want to try some different setting in the future to feel it but at the beginning I prefer to make the right decision. On my old helicopter I used to fly always in the HH mode at 65% because it seems that it is easier to fly like this. But I never used this 35%. I was always higher at about 45% because I do not know what it will do in the field, only theoretically and not very well understood.

Thro Curve

Normal - 0 40 65 85 100
Stunt - 100 95 90 95 100
Hold - 0 0 0 0 0

Pitch Curve

Normal - 45 47.5 50 71 92 ( I get about 9.2º at full pitch)
Stunt - 0 25 50 75 100 ( I get about 10.8 at full pitch, worked on swash mix to get this)
Hold - 0 25 50 75 100

Swash Mix

Aile - + 53%
Elev - +53%
Pitch - -53%

MIX 1, MIX 2 and Revo MIX are settings for next steps...All of them are set up as default. Both mix inactive and revo at 0 in all options.

Swash type 120º

I will put some photos of it tomorrow to show how I did the wiring and stuff. You guys can tell me if it is ok or not because it is my first helicopter building and setting up. I really enjoyed all the process but I am still lacking of knowledge to be more confident with all my settings. I hope I will be flying it the next days and I will also make a movie of me flying it. Do not expect a expert flight because I am just a beginner. but at least I will be able to show a very safe and calm fly as well as the hover stability that I have achieved after more than 10 hours of settings work...:beerchug:

I have a last question about servos. When I was doing the pitch blade settings, I realized that my elev servo jumps (or bumps, sorry for my English) a little bit up and down when it is in a specific point. I do not know if it is normal or not. I am just afraid of lifting it up and fell this movement making me loose control. It happens when I am with the stick at about 60% (pitch movement) or when I input forward command. Sometimes it does not "jump", others it just starts jumping and stays jumping until I move the stick again to get out of that position. As I have seen many videos and in some of them I also saw some crazy servos jumping around I am in doubt if it is normal or not???? If not, is there anyway I can repair it? I put a video below to show what I am talking about. Maybe my explanation was not very clear.

That is all for the moment. I am extremely happy for my first building. I think it will be a pretty decent bird after all. The sun is shining here and I hope to be able to fly it very soon.

I will be really grateful for any comments and help with my setup. Thanks a lot!!!

Happy flights!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

stokke

My first question is: Can I adjust this travel function as I am doing? If not, how can I make my stick works in full range?

My second question is about the expo function in the DX6i. Can use expo in all servos (ail, ele and rud)? This question may seem to be stupid but why should I need to adjust expo if I get it in the flight mode settings (at least I understood it)?

Here I have another question. But I would something more practical, because I have read a lot of theory on this matter but I could not understand what it will in fact do in the field. Of course, I want to try some different setting in the future to feel it but at the beginning I prefer to make the right decision. On my old helicopter I used to fly always in the HH mode at 65% because it seems that it is easier to fly like this. But I never used this 35%. I was always higher at about 45% because I do not know what it will do in the field, only theoretically and not very well understood.

I have a last question about servos. When I was doing the pitch blade settings, I realized that my elev servo jumps (or bumps, sorry for my English) a little bit up and down when it is in a specific point. I do not know if it is normal or not. I am just afraid of lifting it up and fell this movement making me loose control. It happens when I am with the stick at about 60% (pitch movement) or when I input forward command. Sometimes it does not "jump", others it just starts jumping and stays jumping until I move the stick again to get out of that position. As I have seen many videos and in some of them I also saw some crazy servos jumping around I am in doubt if it is normal or not???? If not, is there anyway I can repair it? I put a video below to show what I am talking about. Maybe my explanation was not very clear.

I would leave the rudder limits to 100/100. Try the bird out first, then decide if you want to add D/R or maybe some expo to it.

I am not sure if your TX supports assigning DR/EXPO to the IU-switch, but for the time being just leave your expo settings at 20+ or above - and leave the function assigned to the three default switches.

If your gyro value ranges from 0 - 100, then set it at 70%. If it has a range of -100 - +100, then set it at +40%. The small LED right next to the 3GX status light should be GREEN to indicate that you have set your heli in HH mode (you want HH mode ;) )

This "jumping" or "jittering" is a known issue with the Align DS410M and DS415M servos. It usually occurs on the servos center position. As long as you have to "look for it" with the sticks, I wouldn't worry. But if it is easy to get the servo to do this, I would try to repair the servo or get a new one. This issue has been discussed in another thread, where some have been able to "cure" it - and others not. But again, I wouldn't worry.

mariorope

Thanks a lot for the tips stokke. I have just changed my rudder limits back to 100/100. I have put some expo 20% using the three default switches. I also changed my gyro gain in HH to 70%. Unfortunately I was not able to try it out as it was raining the all day long. Yesterday it was really clear. But I will try it tomorrow if I have a chance.

About the servo, that is a good information. I had no idea about this problem with align servos. Would you recommend anything better than that? Not for now, but I intend to make my heli better in the future. As you told me, I will not be worried too much about it.

Anyway, thank you very much for the inputs.

stokke

Thanks a lot for the tips stokke. I have just changed my rudder limits back to 100/100. I have put some expo 20% using the three default switches. I also changed my gyro gain in HH to 70%. Unfortunately I was not able to try it out as it was raining the all day long. Yesterday it was really clear. But I will try it tomorrow if I have a chance.

About the servo, that is a good information. I had no idea about this problem with align servos. Would you recommend anything better than that? Not for now, but I intend to make my heli better in the future. As you told me, I will not be worried too much about it.

Anyway, thank you very much for the inputs.

I would not upgrade the 450 with new servos, as the DS415M's are plenty good - and any upgrade would not do very much in terms of flight behavior. My advice; save your cash and only spend money on repairs for the 450 - as of soon you will be wanting a new (and probably larger) helicopter.

Last tip for for now; take it eeeeeeeeasy when you try to maiden your helicopter. Spool her up on the ground slowly, preferably with training gear mounted. While still on the ground, check that the tail holds (heli does not start to spin). Then check your rudder stick (stick input translates to correct behavior). Good luck :D

mariorope

Thanks for the advice stokke, you are right. It seems that the servo problem will not bother me for now. I made a video of my maiden flight today. It seems that everything is working great here. For sure I will make some adjustments in the future, to try out some other settings to find out the best one for me. But I can tell you that this thing is really stable in the air.

I would like to thanks everybody who helped me to get this heli very well programmed. Here you can enjoy the maiden flight for checking the settings.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Of course, HAPPY FLIGHTS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom