General My first build, the RC-Help Trainer

artapplewhite

I'm just getting into R/C and the is my first post on the forum apart from my intro. I asked a few local R/C friends what I should start with. They all said a four-channel, high-wing trainer would be best. After an exhaustive Google search, the RC-Help Trainer looks like the best airframe to start with. I downloaded the plans and built it. Here is what I have so far.
100_4369.jpg100_4370.jpg
I still need all the "electronics" but some of it is "in the mail" and the rest is promised by folks in the local clubs the next time I see them. I'm hoping to fly this weekend or at the least have something for the local "experts" to "throw rocks at". :)

I've also just built the Flitetest Delta. I plan to build the FliteTest.com Nutball and Flyer soon. As soon as I develop some "piloting skills", I plan to build a flying wing so my wife can do some FPV.

I welcome any comment or ideas from other members of the forum.

Art Applewhite
ArtRocs
Art Applewhite Rockets - Main page

100_4369.jpg

100_4370.jpg

artapplewhite

I got some Dollar Tree foam board today and noticed that it is a lot lighter(4.2 oz) than the Elmer's foam board(9.5 oz) I used on my RC-Help Trainer. The total weight of my Trainer without any electronics is 19.5 oz. Is this normal or is it too heavy?

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, that Elmer's board is very heavy. It's what I started out using as well and found it way too heavy. You can try it if it's already built to keep from wasting board, but I would build another one out of the dollar tree board. I can assure you, it will float a LOT better.

EyeStation

Hello Art. I don't think you will have any problems with that weight. I too, use the Elmers board. I think it cuts cleaner than the Dollar Tree stuff.
You can continue with the same electronics package that Tony suggests for the build.
That plane looks great by the way.

Gerald

Nice plane, I think the all up weight on my trainer was 16.4oz that's electronics and battery and my packing tape covering also I have landing gear! If you are at 19.5 with out electronics, I'd say that she is on the heavy side. I am sure it will fly, the design of the trainer is super stable yours may need a motor with more torque and a bigger prop to pull her along! I am not an expert in this being fairly new to the hobby but thru some research I have found that motors with low KV numbers are able to swing bigger props, example a 1000KV might do well with a 10x6 or 11x6 prop and have great pulling power, where a 2000KV motor will run a 6x4 or a 5x5 prop wont pull the weight but have very good high speed flight, and if you try to put a 11x6 prop on that motor it will go up in smoke or so I have heard! There is also the battery factor to consider with motors, a motor can swing different props based on battery cells / voltages. I am rambling on! I think you should continue and get this bird up in the air, you put time in it, go for it! OH and I too have built several flite test planes and I love the Old Fogey! I have a video of it posted. I defer to other members on here if I stated something incorrect here please correct me and help me get it right too!

Derek

Hi there art! That Trainer of yours really does look good. I like the white and black.

Ron B

Art
Nice looking plane. I have the ft flyer and the old fogey. Still working at getting them in the air for more than 2 sec. flights as I am a noob after 42 yrs. away from the hobby. I am using the rcdp sim. with my keyboard until I get a controller (I hope to order it next week.

jklong03

My hat's off to you for building your first plane! I used to build earlier in my U-control days, but like so many people I went ARF for getting into RC. In fact, three planes in and I'm still buying them that way. Maybe once my thumbs get smart enough to keep the same plane in one piece for a whole season, I'll build one up.

Top Bottom