General my eflite servo keeps burning out

gaurdian

I'm way new at this heli stuff and my little town has no one to ask for help so you tube is my best friend right now....anyway I bought a blade 450 3d it was used loved trying to fly it so bought another 450 3d with all the really nice upgrades.....my e flite g210 on both heli's was bad so off to the hobby store 85 miles one way they didn't have the g210 but the guy said this jr g370 3d was a better gyro.... so I bought it got home installed it change my settings on my dx6i to what the instructions says and I was hovering and moving it around im one happy camper.....but after a day of flying lets say around 20 flights maybe more and my e flite servo burn out so took the servo off my first 450 and it worked for about 10 flight's and burned out again ok thinking might be just old used servo's so off to hobby store I go again......bought and installed new 76t servo and flying again back to being a happy camper again so about 20 flight's this time when I spool it up it goes in a circle one way or the other and cannot control it at all.......I have 2 new 76t servo's but am afraid to put it in because I know it's going to burn out....there is no binding I only hover and and don't use there tail that much at all just move it back and forth in front of me going at my own pace learning curve.......
One other thing I have 3 battery's and 3 charger's don't know if this is the right way or wrong way but when I fly the timer says 6 min on the transmitter and I only hovering and I fly tell the battery is running down and it lands and I still want to use all the battery up tell it don't lift off and change battery and put a new one in and do another round of hover tell that done and so on.....tell all 3 battery is charged and right back at it....?am I using the battery to hard? trying to fly the heli on not enough power and burning the servo out? or flying it to much to fast and the servo burns out from over use to fast the battery is warm when I take it off the heli and start charging it.....

EyeStation

I don't think what you are doing with the batteries is killing your servo's. But it is not doing much for the life of your batteries.
Have you set your end limits of the Gyro after replacing? You have apparently went through the setup to get the gyro direction set correctly. There are usually 2 other settings you need to do in that gyro,1-Set up the servo frequency per the servo Mfr specs, 2-Set Gyro Direction,(Which is set correctly), and 3- Set end point limits.
I am not sure the detrimental effects of servo frequency, but an end point set out of range will cause undue electrical stress on the servo electronics.

Slobberdog

I would think it would be the servo frequency problem, and that is why its heating up and packing in,

- - - Updated - - -

also I would give a little time between flights for things to cool down

I usually do say a 6 min flight then leave cool down for 12 mins, it will help significantly with the longevity of your electrics more so the ESC and motor

pvolcko

Higher frequency settings will cause it to heat up and burn out potentially. Try a lower setting.

Also agree, make sure to let it cool down between flights.

Stop flying the batteries down to empty. This is very bad for LiPo batteries. If you get 8 minutes before they are dead, set a timer of 6 minutes and follow it. If they are going dead before 6 minutes, then set to 4. IF you keep doing this you will kill those batteries way before their time and end up having to get new ones. Never fly a lipo down to the point the heli can't lift off or stay in the air. Whatever that time is, set a timer 2 minutes before then and follow it religiously.

gaurdian

my gyro direction check got that down...Set up the servo frequency per the servo Mfr specs? this one I have no idea what that is but I looked up the DS76T servo is only specc'ed to 270Hz and I run a dx6i and the hobby shop said I might have to lower my hz for that servo? I have no idea how and what he is talking about......I can't even find it on google ....do I need to buy a special tool for that?
one other thing my tx modulation is set on the auto dsm-x enable dsm-x and dsm-2 standard receiver's and the other one is dsm2 only dsm-2 high speed recievers I have a ar6115e what modulation type do I set that at I have it on the first one might that be my problem?

pvolcko

Since there isn't an option available and it looks like this gyro is kind of intended to be paired with either of two JR servos that are 333hz servos, I'm guessing it will not be compatible with the DS76T, which is 270hz.

You can try upgrading your servo or try to get a gyro with freq setting.

gaurdian

thanks guys for the info im kind of leaning toward getting to JR DS290G servo's and see what they do I don't want to kill the last 2 new 76t servo's just to fly and don't trust them over 4 feet after a few flights seems do what it wants to do.....thanks for all the info about the batterys and the cool down time Ill start doing that right away....you guys are the best thanks again everyone for the tips....someday ill get this all down and be 3d flying in no time I hope.....

Lee

Everyone seems to have got you sorted out.
Just on the flight times. You should not take more than 80% of the capacity out of the battery.
So if its a 2200mah pac, when you charge it, you should be putting back 1760mah or less.
When you charge your batteries, if you have a half decent charger, it should tell you the mah you put back in.

Lee

Everyone seems to have got you sorted out.
Just on the flight times. You should not take more than 80% of the capacity out of the battery.
So if its a 2200mah pac, when you charge it, you should be putting back 1760mah or less.
When you charge your batteries, if you have a half decent charger, it should tell you the mah you put back in.

murankar

Staff member
Yeah I have a ds520 align servo and a Jr 270 gyro. These work together and the gyro was setup for that servo at one time. I never had an issue with 3 back to back flights then a rest time of about 4 hours then 3 more back to back flights. Drop me a pm if your interested.

Top Bottom