Cases My Custom Made Charger

Nade

Hi yall, I wanted to share a charger I had made so I could charger my (6) 6s batteries for my Goblins. The one I had would charge only one at a time taking an hour to an hour and a half each. Not an incentive to start charging when you need to start the morning before.

I found out about this charging system through a friend at my local club. He made his own that was very impressive but got his idea from a company in Florida that makes charging systems to your preference. Their website is rotorcraftrc.com. I spoke with the owner back last year when I was getting into the idea of my own system. Heck of a nice guy and will guide you in deciding what you're looking for. Here are a few pictures of mine.

(Having trouble with uploading some of the pictures so I will upload them as soon as I get the issue resolved. :sad0147:)

charger 2016-04-12 001.jpg

murankar

Staff member
That's the owner of rotarywingrc.com I think his first name is Kyle. Yes they are great people to work with. Yes you need more pics of this rig. Looking at redoing mine.

Nade

That's the owner of rotarywingrc.com I think his first name is Kyle. Yes they are great people to work with. Yes you need more pics of this rig. Looking at redoing mine.

The person I spoke with is Joe Cashwell. He has some ideas on YouTube on how to do certain things. I'll get the links to post here. Let's see if I can post another picture. The colors off on this picture. I had to alter the original to get it to upload. Tried to upload a short video showing the colors but still having trouble. I'll keep trying. Here's a couple links with Joe Cashwell.

Nanuk 910 case overview - YouTube

Rotor Craft RC hobby charge case. Ins and outs - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a link to the short video of the initial test of the charger

YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

I need something like this in such a bad way! That sure looks good!

Hey Derek, I've been wanting to get on Phoenix flight sim with someone. Haven't been on it for sometime so I could use the practice. If you let me know when you're on I'll see if I can connect. That would be cool! I'll check on skype for you I.D. (got to see what mine is, I forget now)

image.jpg

Smoggie

So are we talking about building an actual charger, or a 'charger case' that takes a standard charger such as a Powerlab or iCharger?

By the way Nade, your Youtube video is private so only you can see it.

Derek

Nade...that's a sweet setup. I'm hoping to get one built for me this year.

As for getting on the Phoenix Sim...I'd be happy to meet up with you and fly/crash. I'm not on it every day but when I am on the sim, it's usually late evening. My Skype name is searchable at: mountaindewdude76 or Derek Westphal in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Tony

Staff member
Nade, what issues are you having uploading? What error codes is it giving you? Let me know and I will fix the issue.

And I think we need to start up the phoenix flight thread again. Maybe I will create a usergroup just for the phoenix people and send out a mass email to all of them when we are flying. One thing though, Since this is a PRIVATE club event, I will bypass if you have admin emails turned off. The way to opt out of these emails is to get out of the group. What do you all think about that? Think we should have a "Phoenix" group?

Nade

So are we talking about building an actual charger, or a 'charger case' that takes a standard charger such as a Powerlab or iCharger?

By the way Nade, your Youtube video is private so only you can see it.

You can have a complete charging system custom made for you. It's a charging case that has the power supply, charger, connectors and accessories in it. They can include programmable fans that display a phrase while running. That's what I got on mine but sent me the wrong fans. You can have different types of connectors installed as well. Like I said, custom made.

Thanks for the heads up on the video smoggie! I'll get it changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Nade, what issues are you having uploading? What error codes is it giving you? Let me know and I will fix the issue.

And I think we need to start up the phoenix flight thread again. Maybe I will create a usergroup just for the phoenix people and send out a mass email to all of them when we are flying. One thing though, Since this is a PRIVATE club event, I will bypass if you have admin emails turned off. The way to opt out of these emails is to get out of the group. What do you all think about that? Think we should have a "Phoenix" group?

Sounds like a great idea Tony! Love it! As fast as the error code let me see if I can duplicate it and get back to you.

vimy

That's an excellent setup, Nade and so beautifully built.

Does the deck weigh very much on it's own without anything mounted?

The PVC is so thick it looks like you can build a bridge with it.

The deck looks real good though, it allows a lot of scope to mount anything you like or cut a big hole in it and stays rigid.

Last edited:

Nade

Hi vimy, no the case doesn't really weigh that much. I don't have it to weigh for you yet. It's been a long time for me now but I've been waiting for my club friend to finish building it. He got his last part needed this past week and waiting for his call to say it's ready for pick up. I used the Nanuk 940 case for my charger case and it weighs 3.8kg. I used this case on the recommendation because it has a deep interior. Here are the specs on it. Hope this helps.

image.jpg

vimy

Hello Nade, thanks for replying. I have looked at the Nanuk cases and the quality of them is impressive.

Unfortunately, like everything that comes from the US postage is horrendously expensive and really loads the price up.

I ended up buying a couple of used Pelikan cases as they are a lot more common in Australia. One is a near new 1600 very cheap and the other a 1550, again very cheap.

I will probably use the 1550 as it is more compact and transfer everything over to that from an aluminium flight case.

The deck you showed in one of your photos looks very heavy due to how thick the PVC is.

How much does the deck weigh by itself, with nothing mounted to it?

I'm interested because how it compares to recycled 10 mm black polythene.

I know that stuff IS heavy and tough, but you can't glue anything to polythene like you can to PVC.

Thanks again for the info, Nade.

Kind Regards,

And good night, it's 0428 hours here.

Last edited:

Nade

Hello Nade, thanks for replying. I have looked at the Nanuk cases and the quality of them is impressive.

Unfortunately, like everything that comes from the US postage is horrendously expensive and really loads the price up.

I ended up buying a couple of used Pelikan cases as they are a lot more common in Australia. One is a near new 1600 very cheap and the other a 1550, again very cheap.

I will probably use the 1550 as it is more compact and transfer everything over to that from an aluminium flight case.

The deck you showed in one of your photos looks very heavy due to how thick the PVC is.

How much does the deck weigh by itself, with nothing mounted to it?

I'm interested because how it compares to recycled 10 mm black polythene.

I know that stuff IS heavy and tough, but you can't glue anything to polythene like you can to PVC.

Thanks again for the info, Nade.

Kind Regards,

And good night, it's 0428 hours here.

The cases weight empty is 3.8kg vimy. Not real bad, specially since being made into a charging system you're not going to be carrying it anywhere for a long period of time. Hope you had a good night.

Nade

I finally picked up the charging case I had made for me! It's been a loooong time overdue! It's utilizing the 1200 watt 50 amp AC/DC switching power supply with the iCharger 308 duo charger. In the picture it is charging the two batteries for my Goblin 770.

I can literally charge 6 batteries on each channel simultaneously. I can take 6 of the same type batteries that are charging in the picture and charge them on one channel at the same time while charging another 6 same size battery (s) on the other channel. At the left back it also has two USB ports for a power supply or charging a phone, two servo ports for testing and/or centering them and at the right back next to the power cord a 12 volt banana plug port where I could take my old charger, plug it into that port and charge another battery.

The only one other item I'm going to get for it is clear fan covers that rotorcraftrc.com now has available for them since there is nothing covering the fan blades. :banana:

image.jpeg

Tony

Staff member
Those fan bites don't hurt for long lmao.

That is a great looking charger you have there! Love how clean it is. Can we get a picture of the under side and the wiring?

Nade

Yup, that's right. They don't "hurt" for long! I don't want them to hurt at all. Now if you can make that happen it'll save me a few bucks. :chuckles:

Thanks for the plug Tony! I thought it was clean looking too. As per your request. Here are some shots of the wiring, and one of the fan covers I'm going to get so I don't hurt for long. :loser:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tony

Staff member
You do know the covers won't light up like that, right? That is the fan. I'm sure you know this, just had to mention it. And quite honestly, I would just get a metal fan cover. It has smaller holes so dropping stuff and the ends of batteries can't get in there. Those covers, the plugs on a battery can go inside it and hit the fan.

And that is very clean. The only thing I would have wanted different is the voltage readout. I would have wanted that on the top as well instead of facing down. I know why they did it, you can't mount it the other way without the caps and such poking out as well. But maybe they could have put a piece of acrylic just where the LCD is so you can see it.

And I love that PSU. Very clean and smaller than the two of the ones that i have.

I need to do something like this and change up my setup. I quite honestly do not like what I have right now. Very basic and I want something more lmao. Ugh, you are making more work for me lmao.

Nade

Yes, I know it's the fans lighting up. Actually I was supposed to get the programmable fans because that's what I paid for. I emailed him last night notifying him of them. And I didn't think anything about the size of the holes in the covers. I think I'll check on eBay, my favorite place to buy, and see if they have covers. I'm very anal when it comes to neatness and safety so I'm not too worried about it.

If you're talking about reading the voltage output you can see it on the power supply through the clear cover over the power unit. It shows the voltage and amps while charging. Plus the charger shows the voltage among other info while charging. You can probably see the info in the pic I uploaded last night.

Ah yeah, it does seem I create more work on practically every correspondence. Sorry about that chief!

Tony

Staff member
It's all good, it's something that I have wanted to do for a while, but seeing all of these new projects pop up makes me want to do it a little faster lol. I just want to recess my charger into the case like yours is and I want something that is a little cleaner than what I have now.

The fans you have, are they sucking in, or blowing out?

Top Bottom