My Computer Won't Shut Down....

Tony

Staff member
So I was getting ready to head to the netflix room (bedroom lol) and thought I would just do as I always do, click start, click power, click shutdown and move on about my business. I did that, and got up, a minute later it was still on teh start screen. So I did it again. Nothing. And again, nothing.

I checked my power button settings and it was set to shutdown so I pushed my power button, nothing. Again, nothing. UGH, FINE!!!!!!!!! Out comes CMD with the fantastic >shutdown /s command. And..... NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

I know I can push and hold the power button to force it off, I can push the reset button and force it to restart, or I can just turn off the switch on the PSU and kill it, but I hate doing that seeing as I have 5 spinning drives in this thing and I don't want to slam the heads back home. Guess I'm going to have to do one of them though. Not leaving this beast on all night lmao.

Anyone ever have this issue? Going to try the reset button just to see if it works...

RandyDSok

As far as the OS is concerned... a reset is as bad as a power off.... but if it's not responding there is little else to do.

Slim chance... open the task manager and see if a process is stuck and if so... end the process. When I've seen this in the past, there usually isn't a sign of a stuck process in the TM, but you could get lucky... maybe

Tony

Staff member
Well, I found out what it was...

I ended up just hitting the reset button (yes, I know that is the same as cutting power or forcing it to power down by holding the power button, but as you said, little I could do, or so I thought lmao. More later) and it did its normal reboot. During POST, it hung on one of the devices. That is when it hit me, I still had a card reader plugged into the front USB port with a bad card in it that I refuse to give up on lmao. It's the card that was in the Mobius when it crashed inverted on the Runner 250 and powered itself into the ground. I'm guessing voltage spike, pretty sure I will never get anything off the card, but dammit I'm still going to try lmao.

I unplugged it from the computer but it had already done its damage, so had to hit the reset button again. Decided to plug it in AFTER POST, and W10 has that screen that you have to hit a key to open up the page to put in your password, yea, it hung on that first screen lmao. Couldn't put in a password. Unplugged the stick, all is well.

Completely forgot about that card being in the computer. One of these days though, I'm going ot find a way to get the footage off that card lol. Just need to figure out a way to "look" at the inside of it which is almost impossible on a micro SD card lmao. I will not give up on it.

So yea, all of that because of a friggin Sd card... Talk about needing to call it a day...

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for that Randy. I am thinking this card received a power spike when it crushed the 2R2 inductor on the board. Because it will not show up under anything in windows, I'm thinking it may have either burnt a trace in which case I need to find a way to it to jump it back over or it completely fried the storage chip and I'm just wizzing in the wind... But I will give those others a shot and see if I can get anything. At the very least I would like to recover the flight footage, it had to be one hell of a ride lmao.

RandyDSok

One of Windows ( actually since DOS ) fatal flaws is how it auto-mounts drives in order to enumerate ( so it can assign a letter ) them prior to the OS fully loading or unloads them when it shuts down. So any major corruption to the MBR or partition can cause the OS to halt and retry forever.

With 'nix OS's... drive mounts/enumerations work completely different, the OS's partition itself is the only critical mount point and all others are optional and other drives/partitions do not require that they are mounted first off.

Top Bottom