Cases My Charging System

Heliman450

Not quite custom made as the system is based upon a stock Graupner charger system. Yes, expensive, but I'm after safety and efficiency following on from a discussion on the subject in our monthly meeting of the flying club.

System consists of a fire resistant document case sitting on top of a ceramic plate to insulate the cupboard it stands on. The batteries sit in the case with a sand-filled 'fire extinguisher' above consisting of a plastic box with the base opened up to allow the plastic bag the sand came in to become the release mechanism for the sand if a fire incident were to occur dumping the sand into the case below. The volume of sand is about 10% more than the case with batteries.

I don't need to get too close to put it out, I just stand back and stop it spreading to the room with a normal fire extinguisher.

Hope I never need it in anger!

My Charging Station Small.JPG

My Charging Station Small.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Wow, that is definitely something! Mine is just a cheap case housing two 12v 575w PSU's wired in series (1000w actual) with a piece of plexi that the charger sits on. Nothing like this. That is impressive.

Heliman450

Wow, that is definitely something! Mine is just a cheap case housing two 12v 575w PSU's wired in series (1000w actual) with a piece of plexi that the charger sits on. Nothing like this. That is impressive.

Thanks Tony, when surfing the 'net, I saw too many horror photos of the injuries caused by the chemical fire of LiPo's to take any chances. My time as an auxiliary fireman also helped :biggrin1:

The most expensive part was the case at $50, sand was $7 and the wire stand $5. I also invested in some storage/carry cases for my stock of batteries as another level of protection. I don't intend to store the batteries in the metal case as that would turn it into a very dangerous item indeed.

P.S. Incidentally, the red, Polaron part of the system can be detached and taken to the field receiving power from a battery/batteries if desired. The box contained all kinds of supplemental cables. That would also be a good subject for publishing on the Forum or adding a link to a website explaining what they're all for.

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Not quite custom made as the system is based upon a stock Graupner charger system. Yes, expensive, but I'm after safety and efficiency following on from a discussion on the subject in our monthly meeting of the flying club.

System consists of a fire resistant document case sitting on top of a ceramic plate to insulate the cupboard it stands on. The batteries sit in the case with a sand-filled 'fire extinguisher' above consisting of a plastic box with the base opened up to allow the plastic bag the sand came in to become the release mechanism for the sand if a fire incident were to occur dumping the sand into the case below. The volume of sand is about 10% more than the case with batteries.

I don't need to get too close to put it out, I just stand back and stop it spreading to the room with a normal fire extinguisher.

Hope I never need it in anger!

View attachment 15829

That is an awesome set up you have their Heliman450. I just have a ammunition holding box that I use. That is also a good idea to have a fire extinguisher near by. I have one in the kitchen but not one next to my charging station. I will have one today that's for sure! Thank you for sharing! :)

trainrider06

Very nice setup Phil! Extra precautions is a must, I have seen the horror stories and pictures of just how much damage can be done with lipos! It's scary!

Top Bottom