Cases My charging box

Slobberdog

Well finally found a box that was good for what I wanted to achieve so here is a couple of shots of what I have done so far.

image.jpg

Base plate with supplies attached

image.jpg

Fan holes for air flow added, and power socket hole marked for cutting

image.jpg

Top plate cut ready for power terminals and supply switches

image.jpg

And a quick peek of what I am trying to achieve

image.jpg

More instalments to follow........

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

pj1969

Kev can i ask what your going to power it on?? I'm looking at doing something the same for the field and just dont know what would be best, but with out spending £400 on a genny. Looks good tho mate

Slobberdog

You can use the charger direct off a 12v battery, although I think you would need a good camping battery and you will only have a max of 15 amps, that is unless you connect two 12v in series to give you your 24v.

This box even though done with cost in mind is gonna be sweet I hope,

Slobberdog

Here a couple of extra pics along the way

Power points made and fitted for charger connection

image.jpg

And power connection cut out soldered and fitted, checked and works a treat.

image.jpg

Now all that's really left is to make the power supply switches harnesses and fit them, just waiting for the leads for that to happen.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stambo

You can use the charger direct off a 12v battery, although I think you would need a good camping battery and you will only have a max of 15 amps, that is unless you connect two 12v in series to give it 24v

A 12v battery will give a lot more than 15 amps.
Look at it this way, the starter on a car or light truck will draw anything from 120 to 5 or 600 amps.
Even a decent deep cycle (camping) battery can start a car.
A good 12 volt battery will supply as much as most chargers will ask for.
How long for? That is the question.
Depends on the battery.

pj1969

Looking good so far mate, think i'm going to go for a PL6 charger, so will have to look at a set up for that. Will be keeping an eye on this build, looks just the job.

pj1969

You will have to email me the instructions and what you used and where you got them from. Really interested in making one of these, but i'm not into electrics one bit, so not a clue where too start

Tony

Staff member
as Kev stated, the video that I have and the writeup that Gaba did are fantastic tools to do this. Anyone that can solder even half way can make these power supplies. If you are only needing 12v, then you will just solder the bullets to the PSU and do the pin crossover mod. Doing the DC ground isolation mod is not that hard, it's just in a pretty tight spot. I removed my fan to give me more room in the PSU. If you have any questions, just ask in the thread linked above.

pj1969

Cheers for the info Kev, I will watch that later and see if I can get one sorted, it would be a great little project for me to try.

Slobberdog

Well I guess I am finished, lol.

Got the switch harnesses made,

image.jpg

Fitted them into the board

image.jpg

Fitted all the connections and tested, all ok and switches work as expected. here's the board fitted back in the box before I clutter it up

image.jpg

And last but not least, with the charger fitted and working

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It's been a good build, and the box to keep this lot nice and tidy ended up costing a huge $30 well that's just shy of £20 for this side of the pond, not to shabby me thinks...............

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

pj1969

She looks sweet Kev, really well put together. I'm not going to attempt one, think i'll just keep an eye out on the forums for one. It's a little beyond me, i dont get electrics at all. Well done though mate

Slobberdog

It is quite an easy job to do, if you can put a bird together you can do this, believe me, I was sceptical if I could do it but it was as easy as Tony made it look.

You don't have to do the box or the switches, that's just my OCD and wanting it just right, lol

pj1969

Kev, where did you get the icharger?? Been looking to get one or the PL6 and bite the bullet, so I have one and won't need anything better.

Slobberdog

Here you go PJ, I use this guy quite a bit, and he's the cheapest supplier by far, and when I got mine ha said the new delivery was gonna be about 3 to 4 weeks away, and that was about 3 weeks ago.

iChargers

Here you will see the reason why making your own power supply is so appealing,

pj1969

Cheers mate, will have a look at that. I take it you can do little 3s for the 450 in no time?? 6s about 20 mins?? My little b6imax is ok, but I think I need to upgrade if I'm charging 4x 6s's at the field. Is you box finished now??

Slobberdog

Not quite I have binding posts coming, and want to put a compartment for storing the lead in there. I have done 4 3s at 2c in 20 mins, but Tony done 9 in 28 mins

I recon you could do 4 6s in 35 mins maybe at 1.5c

pj1969

Wow that's good, that's it I need on in my life!!! Can't wait to see your finished box mate, cheers

Top Bottom