Micro mxpx dies during flips

xokia

My little mcpx started doing something new today. Flying around normally it does fine. When I do a flip I get to the bottom of the flip to where I should start going up again and the motor just cuts out and the helicopter falls. I can pick it up and fly around no problems. Pitch pumps no problem. It only occurs when trying to gain altitude coming out of a flip.

Could this be a sign that the main motor is ready to go? Or something else?

murankar

Staff member
It takes a lot of flying to kill the motor. I hate to ask this but are you flying in idle up?

Last edited by a moderator:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Or a fct that your throttle curve is low and if you pull your throttle stick down the motor goes to zero throttle.... If you are in idle up and throttle curve is right and still it's happening. Try a new fully charged battery. If not then mcpx does have a brushed motor and it wouldn't surprise me if its on its way out

- - - Updated - - -

Or a fct that your throttle curve is low and if you pull your throttle stick down the motor goes to zero throttle.... If you are in idle up and throttle curve is right and still it's happening. Try a new fully charged battery. If not then mcpx does have a brushed motor and it wouldn't surprise me if its on its way out

xokia

Yes I was in idle up and I tried multiple "new" batteries. Its really weird because I would think that doing a full negative pitch and the going full positive pitch would create just as much stress on the motor. This doesnt cause the motor to stall out.

But a flip like I mentioned after going all the way over and then starting to gain altitude again the motor stalls out every time. Yesterday I was able to do these no problem. Today it just stalls and then falls to the ground. I will try again tomorrow if its not raining, if it stalls tomorrow I'm going to switch to brushless.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I was in idle up and I tried multiple "new" batteries. Its really weird because I would think that doing a full negative pitch and the going full positive pitch would create just as much stress on the motor. This doesnt cause the motor to stall out.

But a flip like I mentioned after going all the way over and then starting to gain altitude again the motor stalls out every time. Yesterday I was able to do these no problem. Today it just stalls and then falls to the ground. I will try again tomorrow if its not raining, if it stalls tomorrow I'm going to switch to brushless.

xokia

So I believe I have figured out what is killing the motor. I think the mcpx has an over current protection that stops the motor in case of a crash. I think what is happening is with the large flips it carries to much speed and towards the bottom of the flip when it tries to pull up the over current protection kicks in and the motor dies.

Knowing this limitation I've been able to much smaller flips no problem. Every once in a while I'll do a flip and the motor will cut out. But its usually again when I am carrying some speed.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Mcpx always requires some collective management but that current draw protection circuit is built to handle those draws. It cuts only if the motor stops and the draw just goes out the roof. Usually not during flight.

In your case that just means that you might b looking at a bad motor that has too much resistance now that its drawing more than its supposed to in normal flight condition. And believe me with your stock setup and how light this is , and stock blades a big loop is just normal flying too

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Top Bottom