450 MSH Protos Mini

murankar

Staff member
Yep, I just ordered it. I found A promo code for a main hobbies that saved me $25 on $250 or more spent. This brought the price to $259, shipping was $13 and out the door I was under by $10. I looked at helidirect and readyheli, but this offer was still cheaper in the end. I should have it here around the 26th so will see.

EXCITED

:chickendance::banana::chickendance::banana:
:hdbng::hdbng::hdbng::hdbng::hdbng::hdbng::hdbng:
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Tony

Staff member
Good deal, hope to see you in the air again soon. I think you are making this a competition between you and I to see who is back in teh air first lmao. I have a feeling it will be you.

Sucks about your new orders but as you said, that hazard pay almost makes it worth it.

murankar

Staff member
Actually this was my allowance from my travel pay. I got so tired of waiting so I went and asked questions and got most of the answers I needed about my motor and this heli. I may have to sneak in a new pinion because my motor and their pinion will put me over 4000 rpm on the head. I need to get the 11T to get down into the uper 3000 rpms.

Oh no not a race, I got realy tired of waiting. I read some stuff on helifreak that kind of set me back about the furion. I sent an email to MA and I have not heard back yet. Also the folks at HF think that the furion is made in Korea so thats why I contacted MA myself.

Once hazard pay kicks in I will send money to payPal so I can save for the better TX/RX combo. I just hope I can get the batteries into country. USPS will not ship lipos to APO address.

Oh and Tony you stickers will be on a classy looking heli.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the decals were supposed to go out today, but the wife forgot them and by the time I woke up, the post office was closed. I'm going to ring her neck if she forgets in the morning lol.

You do know you can take your throttle curve down to about 90% instead of 100% to reduce head speed, right? If your like me, you like all the power you can get and having that extra 10% sitting there is just begging to be used lol. But, it's a way to get around the pinion for now.

murankar

Staff member
Thing is this heli is listed as needing a 2580Kv motor, the kit has a 16T standard. My motor is 3595Kv and I figured I would be around 5600 rpm, the heli is rated (with it's biggest pinion 18T, used for hard 3D) at 5038. This thing has some sick head speeds so I will need to either use the govenor mode on the ESC. I guess this would one of those time to use a govenor on an electric.

murankar

Staff member
Yep, the new one is "It's all about the head speed!!!"

Planning the build vids. Yes I will do it this time because there are not very many videos of a build on this. The manual looks like an auto cad print out, but looks through.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated!!!!!

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Going fly bar for now. the wife was squirming when I clicked submit. But then again She got herself a really expensive juicer that I encouraged her to buy. once I get back down range I may think about the conversion since the kit does in fact come with both. Actually it's the same head block but thats about it.

Lee

Really looking forward to seeing this one. I've heard a lot about it, but not seen much.

murankar

Staff member
Very little is on the net on this one. The only build video of it is a time lapse. I hope I can pull it off.

murankar

Staff member
Well I just got that app that Lee passed on to us. It's the Heli Headspeed app, cost something like $4. I hope this thing is accurate.

murankar

Staff member
This is for the noobs that are looking for their first 450 heli. I know RCH has a lot of traffic from folks surfing for answers and never actually registering for the site. With that mind I also would like for one of the cool cats "mods" of the site to add some tags to this thread so it can be searched.

My skill level is beginner and this heli is going to be my final upgrade for my original heli. Now just to give you folks an idea of what kind of leap this is think of it like this. Its as if I was a first season motorcycle rider buying a hyabusa as my first bike or a lambo for my first race car. So now that I got that out of the way.

I have been doing lots of research between two helis and this one being my final pick. Deep down inside I really wanted this one. What was holding me back was the plastic in this model.

After discussing face to face with Gaba " coolgabsi" about the plastic he had Informed me that it would not be an issue.

Now onto the specs of this thing. First thing I saw was the single stage transmission, the drive belt wraps around the motor pinion then it routes around the 120T main gear then off to the tail it goes. Next after digging into the specs I found that in the box comes both fly bar and fly barless options. I will show that in my video after it arrives here.

Pinion gears for this range from 14T (beginner) to 18T (hard 3D). Once I receive the kit I will address the pinion bore size since it is not listed anywhere.

Now the motor is something I am nervous about. I will be running a Scorpion HK-2221-8 (3595 kV, 400 watts) on a Scorpion Commander V3 ESC. My issue is shaft size (diameter and length). I was told by a main hobbies that it would be a great motor for this kit. Now MSH specs a 2580kv motor for this kit, So now I need to watch my head speed and set the governor on the ESC.

For the rest of the electrics I will be running savox servos all around. This will be my first tail boom mounted servo and I think it will be easier to setup over the in frame (Rex pro) style. My rx/tx for now till I get the cash will be the TH9X.

For the die hard there is a stretch kit for the heli which comes with S.A.B blades, new tail boom, tail boom support bars and belt. I have yet to locate other hop ups for this kit, but I am sure there are a few out there.

I should be getting this kit in about 8 days. Normally I have little issues with delivery times from California. I hope it gets here before then. Be looking for a video blog and some still images of my progress.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Nice to see you'll have an awesome kit now. Remember one little thing about pinions

14t is lower rpm yes but more torque. Higher headspeed is like 6th gear in your car ... :) Tariq Alsadi runs crazy headspeed but then he has to run a huge motor with tons of torque. A normal motor would just end up stalling. :) 14t pinion is great for beginners to 3d.. and also cause less damage on crash and higher flight times.

Just putting in some more info :)

As far as plastic goes.. Look at the heli we are gonna pick up for tony, and heli I have.. Tail is plastic and as I said to uri... Logo is all plastic making it light and a winner in 3D class ...

You'll love that heli bro! We any wait for you to put picks step by step and make videos!!!! :

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

murankar

Staff member
I am making my intro and cut scenes right now. The first installment will be the electrics, tools and other misc. items needed to build this thing. I will keep all the updates in here unless you all say otherwise. Keep it consolidated like Stokke did for his build.

My intro is superman-esc. any free music suggestions?

Tony

Staff member
Scroll down just below the quick reply box. Down there you should see the members who have read this thread, and below that is the tag cloud. On the right there is a button "Add / Edit Tags". You should be able to put them in right there.

Top Bottom