450 Motor With M3 Thread

Today I have tried to mount the motor I have ordered for my ALZRC DEVIL 450, but the motor I had ordered doesn't have M2,5 holes to mount it.
According to the manual the motor should be mounted with M2,5x6 screws with matching washers. However, the holes in the motor turn out to be M3.

The motor I have ordered is the following:
US$14.71 % Racerstar KV4000 Outrunner Brushless Motor For Trex 450 RC Helicopter Green RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com

I can think of the following options:
- Find and order M3x6 screws and washers
- Order a different motor

Are these my only options and what do you recommend.

Tony

Staff member
I had that motor before, might still have it, and I absolutely do NOT like it for a 450 helicopter, or anything for that matter. It spins WAY too fast for these helicopters. And when you throttle it down enough to keep from slinging the blades off of the helicopter, you are pulling so many amps that the motor gets hot and you are lacking on power.

Your best bet is to get a different motor somewhere around 3500kv. I'm running 3400kv on my 3s helicopters. If you want to run 6s, get an 1800kv motor.

I just did some searching and even the ALZRC motor for that helicopter is 3800kv. There is another one by Gartt, but no images are showing up and it's out of stock. Of course you have the usual Align, Scorpion and XNova, but I'm sure you don't want to pay that kind of money for a motor. So to get it in the air, grab some M3 screws and washers and stick that one on the helicopter, just watch teh temp. And order a small pinion to help counter that motor speed. 10 tooth is what I would suggest, but that is starting to get really thin and could crack. And that is 10 tooth for a straight cut, helical needs to be even fewer, as few as you can go.

Like I said, this motor just spins way too fast and it's hard to "make it work".

Thank you Tony, you scare me a little though :wink:.

As you know I'm new in the hobby and have just flown my first cp heli last week (I got my XK K100 finally working). The ALZRC DEVIL 450 is my first build so it is already a challenge. I don't want to make it harder than necessary.
So I guess I'll be looking for a new motor and maybe a matching esc (one that will actually fit inside the frame).

I have some options for the motor:
- Original ALZRC (3800kv)
- GARTT (3800kv)
- Tarot 450MX (3500kv)
- GARTT (3700kv)
- VCTRC (3500kv)

Which one do you recommend?

Also, is there any type of heli I might be able to use the 4000kv motor on in the future?

Tony

Staff member
Don't let what I said scare you, just know the limits of the machine you are building. And in that list, the Tarot 450mx stands out to me. Can you link me to the one that you are looking at?

As for the little green motor.... I can't think of a use for it, it's too small for a door stop. I guess a crappy paper weight? lol.

Tony

Staff member
This is where 'guesstamation' comes in. The Tarot MX450 motor is a clone of the Align MX450 motor, I'm talking a spitting image. The Align motor is 500 watts max. If you take 500 and divide by 11.1, the nominal voltage of a 3S pack, you get 45. So for a 500 watt motor running at 11.1 volts, it will pull a max of 45 amps. Again, this is MAX amps. Here is the crappy part, unless you go with the Align 35a esc or something like it, you will not be able to put the esc inside the frame. Castle makes one too, but cheap they are not. Hobby wing is what I would suggest, and when you get into an ESC that can fit, it is not suggested. The V4 is what I would suggest. But with a 30mm case, you will be hard pressed to find a way to put it in the frame.

Thanks for the explanation Tony. I was looking at super combo's that include this motor and they all use a 40 amps esc so I guess that is the way to go.
I currently have a hobbywing v4 60A which I ordered for the green monster. I'm now looking at a simpler hobbywing skywalker 40A which should be able to fit inside the frame.
I know the v4 is much more advanced and more programmable, but I'm thinking maybe the skywalker should be good enough for my beginner skills.

Tony

Staff member
As long as you are not wanting to use a governor, the one you are looking at should work, just keep an eye on the temps.

If you ever want to build a Goblin 380, that 60a ESC will work great in that heliopter. It's what I"m using in mine. Fantastic governor on that one!

As far as I understand a governor is used a lot by people flying 3D and it'll be a while until I'm ready for that (if I'll ever be).
I understand, not using a governor will probably alter flying characteristics during one flight as the battery voltage drops, but I'm still learning anyway.

That Goblin 380 sounds like a good idea for the future (maybe). :wink:

Tony

Staff member
A governor is not only for flying 3d, it is also for those who are looking for a very stable head speed. Scale comes to mind as well as just normal flying. But I spent my first 5 years of this hobby never using a governor on almost everything. It was just find running a flat curve, just know that during hard pitch pumps the motor may bog a bit.

I'll try it without governor for now. I might be looking into scale when I'm more advanced but for now I guess if I'll be able to fly decent without gov, it will probably be even beter with gov.
I'll keep the hard pitch effects in mind though.

Thanks very much for your help.

Top Bottom