Quad motor problem

hello im having problem with 1 of the motors i'm new to this first quad build the build consist of 4 sunnysky motors 2300 kv 4 afro 12a ultra lite simonk esc 1 naze 32 fcb 1 lumenier 1300 3cell 11.1v lipo 1 Simple PDB 1 12V Step-up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator
i addad a video of what is happening when i test the motors on base flight mtor 4 is not spinning just gitch or pulsing any help would be well appreciated i already replaced the esc once because it fried up and its the same problem as last esc.[video=vimeo;117066043]https://vimeo.com/117066043/settings[/video]

Lee

It could be a damaged motor if its happening to the same one.
First try moving the esc to a different motor.
But more likely, its a timing issue. Search google for afro esc timing issue, you'll find loads of info
Those afro escs are quite prone to it.
I struggled for ages with a set, to find out this was the issue with mine.
Three options.
Try flashing the escs with the latest SimonK firmware.
Flash them with BLheli firmware. Some people say its better than simonK and gives you the function of changing the timing.
Or buy some new escs. The emax 12A simonK def work, or any company selling escs specific for mini quads should work.

Here are some options to buy.
Speed controllers

the Lumenier 12amp ESC with SimonK Firmware

EMAX 12A Speed Controller ESC Simonk Firmware Mini FPV QAV250 Quadcopter 250mm | eBay

Last edited:

Stambo

Near impossible to see what is happening, put some tape flags on the motors so we can see what is going on.
I assume you have tried switching the offending motor to a different ESC?
Have you calibrated the ESCs?
Try running the motors individually through baseflight.

Lee

It is difficult to see Stambo.
He does run the motors independently, and there is a piece of tape on the nearest motor which is the one that stutters.

how are you Lee thanks for your input anyway i change one of the motors to that esc which is #4 any how it did the same thing so its not the motor i thought when i bought these esc that they wouldn't give me a problem and that they were all flashed with the simonk firmware they are afro 12a ultra lite everybody i talk to said they would be great for the sunnysky 2300kv motors now 3 esc and motors work.now can i purchase say 1 the Lumenier 12amp ESC with SimonK Firmware and use it with the 3 esc that i already have setup or that wouldn't work .

Lee

The afro ESCs are all flashed with SimonK. Its just those escs can have issues with syncing.
You cannot have different ESCs together on the same machine. They must all be identical, or the quad will be unstable.
The easiet thing is to replace all four. Or try to flash them with different Firmware. For this you need the Afro USB tool and the BLhelisoftware.
I haven't done it myself yet, but I have a set of Afros that need flashing too.
I am using the Emax 12A esc i linked you to on all 5 miniquads I have built with no issues.

Lee how are you i was wondering when installing the 12a lumenier esc to the naze32 on #1 motor i install the signal' power and ground and on 2'3 '4 motors just the signal or the signal and ground

Lee

Its only necessary to remove the red wire on 2,3,4.
I have removed the ground as well. Doesn't seem to have any side effects, so I'm happy with that. :)

LEE HOW ARE YOU well installed the esc same thing with motor this time it was motor 2 that had the glitch so then i went into base flight to do the esc throttle calibration a put the master motor level to full and poof there goes that esc!:banghead:

Lee

Wow, sorry to hear that.
So different motor and different esc? Thats very odd.
I think we need some detailed photos of your equipment. All the wiring etc. Just to see if its anything obvious.
At the moment, i'm stumped as to what it is.
The only reason for an esc burning is a short somewhere, that i can think of.
Or possibly a wrong setting in the Nase32, but i don't fly those so not sure what it would be. PWM settings???

There are others on here that do fly that board, who may be able to help.
I will have one in the next two weeks.
Sorry i'm not of more help.

Last edited:
here are some pictures there not the best pics but maybe someone can see something now when i went into baseflight to check the motors 1'3'4 worked fine when i checked #2 it was twitching then i shut it down then i did a throttle esc calabration turned the tx on checked the box and moved the calabration slider all the way up pluged the 3s lumenier 1300 mah in and poof#2 escIMG_0520.JPGIMG_0548.JPGIMG_0549.JPGIMG_0552.JPGIMG_0550.JPGIMG_0538.JPGIMG_0542.JPGIMG_0545.JPGIMG_0540.JPGIMG_0526.JPGIMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

Lee

With all that wiring, I'd triple check that nothing is soldered backwards.
Only yesterday I soldered a positive lead to a neg terminal. Luckily I caught it.
Also, being a Carbon frame, check nothing is touching it causing a short.
Other than that or being very unlucky and getting a dud ESC, i'm still none the wiser.
I'd get onto Lumenier anyway and get a new esc under warranty maybe ;)

LEE THE EMAX - Simon Series 12A ESC DO THEY NEED TO BE FLASHED
I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT NOW I BLEW A LUMENIER ESC SO FAR 3 ESC BLOWN. WENT INTO THIS THINKING I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT. YOU WOULD THINK THAT SOMEONE WOULD HAVE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEM BUT I'M NOT GETTING ANY INPUT WELL I'LL GET IT I JUST HATE THROWING AWAY MONEY.

Stambo

Check the connections with a multimeter before you hook up anything else.
Hook up the battery and make sure you have + battery where it should be.
Maybe the power wires to the distro board are backwards.
The only time I have ever smoked an ESC was from hooking it up backwards.

Emax 12a ESCs are already SK flashed, I use them on my mini.

SIXFOOTER

Do you have a spare RX laying around?
At this point I would test each motor and each ESC with an RX and your TX. Just hook the esc and motor up and plug into an RX with a generic airplane model set up. See what each piece does and verify all your parts are good.
I haven't hooked up a Nas32, but the NAZA M I put on my quad gave me a few problems. Turned out that the input and output signal lines were backwards and I didn't see it the first several times I looked at it.

Top Bottom