General Motor pinion gear

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hello everyone!
If i want the main gear on my heli "150T" to spin a little faster, do i drop one size smaller on the motor pinion gear or do i go up one size?

EyeStation

Adding one more tooth to the Pinion would cause the main gear to spin farther on one revolution. So, adding a tooth would cause the main gear to speed up, but is more work for the motor causing a rise in temperature at the same time.
You should find a compromise to fit your needs.

murankar

Staff member
There is a lot going on with this. By going up in pinion tooth count you gain head speed but loose torque and flight time. By going down you gain torque and flight time but loose head speed.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks for that information. I forgot that the temp. will increase. I guess I'll keep it the same.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess i will leave it like it is?

EyeStation

One tooth will not be that great a change in temp. But if you are running hot now, then it would not help you.
Is it a head speed issue you are having?

Tony

Staff member
Raising 1 tooth on the pinion is like dropping 3 teeth on the main gear. So raising a single tooth on a pinion is pretty substantial. If your motor, ESC and battery are cool after a flight, you can go up a tooth. Just watch teh temp. If it's getting too hot, then go back down. If you are needing more head speed, it's worth a shot.

Top Bottom