Motors Motor issue

Lee

I'm using one of the Turnigy 2836 3200KV motors.
Today while static testing after a (small) crash the motor started screeching.
While not moving it started getting very hot. I unplugged the battery and dismantled the motor to find the magnets had rubbed against the stators. There is very little play in the bearings. Anybody had this and what are the dangers if i just fly it and see.?

Tony

Staff member
I have found that most Turnigy motors are not put together very well. The glue they use on the magnets is pretty weak. Depending on the squeel, it could have been from the magnet rubbing the stator, or it could be because the windings are shorting out. If you want to try this motor again, glue that magnet back in place.

Lee

Its the magnets rubbing. You can see the marks. The magnets haven't come undone. The gap is very small between the Stats and magnets.

Tony

Staff member
so they have been rubbing from the factory? This is the reason I hate buying from another country lol. They know you won't send it back...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
+1 to that.. And I mean... The inky thing is , motor will have a very high noise squeal. And then it bigs and then stops. Too much of this and the motor releases the magic smoke.. Had that happen to a Orion motor.. But mine was bent shaft.. It's maily because magnets go out if phase with the current... Until you find something to fix it.. Internally.. (Idk if that worth) should be dead.. Lol

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
thats what i did.... lol... it just wont come on immediately sometimes in the air if you chop throttle and want it back up again... lol.. it might take a couple of tries.. :)

Keith

The smaller the gap between the magnets and stator the more efficent the motor... until they touch that is...

Lee

Well it lasted exactly 2 1/2 flights :D
Got some new 6x4 and 5x5 props. On 3S the 6x4 was def pushing more at low speed (easier to launch) and had a slightly higher top speed. But with 4S i think the top speed isnt as good as it was with the 4.75x4.75. I was going to try the 5x5 but the magic smoke all came out of the motor.
So now waiting for motor for plane, parts for 450, 500, MCPX!!!!!
Always waiting waiting :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hahahha.. Well... It gave you a good top speed before dying .. That's good. Mine gave me a good long flight on the trainer and died in about 2 batteries too. And yep.. Waiting waiting waiting... That's all we do in this... It's horrible. What's wring with mcpx? Did you read my post about the issue I was having?

---
I am here: Google Maps
- Gaba

Lee

Looks like it was my fault the motor burnt out. Just did a calculation and the change from a 4.75x4.75 to a 6x4 prop was over the motors limit. So to use the 6x4 props i am going to get the 2836 2350KV motor instead of the 3200KV.

Top Bottom