More new crazy stuff from the government!

trainrider06

There is something fishy about these "new proposals" how did this stupidity get into this bill coming up for vote?

"These new provisions would require all UAS, including model aircraft, to meet new FAA design and production standards and impose unnecessary regulation on hobbyists who often build their own models at home. The bill also requires modelers to obtain permission from air traffic control when flying within 5 miles of towered airports which could jeopardize hundreds of existing flying sites. And if passed, the bill would require model aircraft enthusiasts to take an online FAA safety test and carry proof of passing the test when flying. These new directives would undermine the model aircraft activity and detract from the creativity, innovation and enjoyment of the hobby."

It sounds like some big heli company has put their two cents in to sway in their being able to control what goes on the market, and can be flown! The rest of that is just stupid!

Tony

Staff member
It's on every model aircraft, not just quads. So I don't see big heli companies doing this. This is purely the FAA overreaching like they always do. And I'm sick of it but I'm just one person that doesn't matter.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, the issue is there just isn't enough of us to put a dent in this. If you look at sales there is, but do you really think the 10yo kid that got the nano for xmas is going to give a crap? NOPE. He just wants to play with it.

trainrider06

And one of the very reasons this legislating crap will probably kill the hobby! It all goes along with responsible parents raising responsible kids!

Wolfman

Well while it didn't happen over here, we have had a quad flown into a commercial plane! This is exactly why this kind of legistration came about. A drone was flown into a commercial aircraft carrying 130 passengers near London's Heath row airport! You know it will hit the fan over here now!

trainrider06

What is amazing is the likely hood of a quad or "drone" hitting an airliner is probably less likely than a bird strike! The figures of near misses has already been unfounded by the FAA from what the AMA has said, and the likely hood of a "drone" bringing a jetliner down would be rare since airlines and FAA tout of how they are to safely fly with one engine. Unless they fudge that information of course. But the facts are anyone who intentionally causes harm with one isn't going to register it, or certify it, or sign up for courses to take. So in the end we're back to square one!

Smoggie

Well while it didn't happen over here, we have had a quad flown into a commercial plane! This is exactly why this kind of legistration came about. A drone was flown into a commercial aircraft carrying 130 passengers near London's Heath row airport! You know it will hit the fan over here now!

I'd be careful jumping to conclusions on that one. The press are reporting it as if it was a confirmed drone strike but I'd take it with a huge pinch of salt at this stage. The pilot apparently reported that he hit 'something' that he thought might be a drone, but flying at 200mph and concentrating on landing the plane i'm not sure if you can read much into that. It may well have been a bird or balloon for all we know. The official investigation hasn't reported yet and the plane was declared free to continue with it's next scheduled flight,so was obviously not significantly damaged.

There is also no indication whatsoever that even if it was a drone that it was deliberately 'flown into' the plane. Apparently it was reported at 1700ft altitude so that will have been well away from the airport itself and pretty much impossible to deliberately 'target' an airliner at that altitude and distance out. If it did happen (and it's a big 'if' at this stage) it must have been pure chance, which is incredibly unlikely. A bird strike is at least a million times more likely based on number of birds in the air vs. drones in the air.

trainrider06

i just want to know who is sending the dogs out on the R/C community! I know the Airline pilots association kinda started it, but dang these rules they are talking about are just plain stupid! All of these years and all of these models built without their nose being stuck into it....just makes no sense. Someone with a lot of power is pushing here for all this stupid stuff! Because like I said their rules won't stop anyone hell bent on destruction....if anything some poor sap that just happened to be flying around in the area, would probably be drug in questioned and sent to prison forever for something they didn't even know took place until after the fact!

murankar

Staff member
What started this whole thing? Now I won't say it solely lies on one person but trappy didn't do anything to make things easier on us. This incident along with all of the other alleged cases is what's doing this. Plus you got the media causing a while bunch of crap by instilling fears based and false hoods.

Have you noticed how in all of the so called near miss photos? What's common to them all? The speck in questioned is always fuzzy or blurry. Then the article trades "airliner almost hit by drone!". Even the scale is off in these pics.

trainrider06

Yeah, it's really starting to smell like either a revenue maker for the government, or some clown really has it out for R/C modelers. Next thing you know the DMV will require licenses and tags for R/C cars and trucks, and have height limits on how high and off road R/C can jump! I see no reason at all for these rules. The ones who don't care ain't gonna follow em! And how are they even going to find what's left of let's say a quad that makes contact with a plane? No way! A bird strike is much more probable!

murankar

Staff member
That's all this is really. It's about the money and who is going to capitalize on it. Plus not to mention the politics involved with it.

trainrider06

I just read that the Brittish Airways flight supposedly hit by a "Drone" may have actually been a....ready for this???
……..............................

Plastic bag!
Idiots in the media!
The old Don Henley song never so true as nowadays!
"Got the bubble head bleach blond comes on at five, she can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye"
"We love dirty laundry"

murankar

Staff member
See I told you. People are jumping to blame everything on drones. As soon as a pilot hears a noise or something, bam its a drone. Regardless of altitude.

Tony

Staff member
That is why I don't fly them. No one has an issue with helicopters or airplanes. But you put a quad in the air and everyone loses their damn minds.

trainrider06

Yeah but FAA will be looking at anything flying! I wouldn't be surprised if after the dust settles you'll see FAA inspectors cruising around with a badge and mace visiting flying fields, probably having stake outs hiding in bushes at public parks swarming a kid and his dad as they pull out the new quad the kid got for his birthday....barking orders from a PA system..."hold it right there! Drop the drone! Do you half your papaz? " lol

murankar

Staff member
I don't see it getting that bad. We as a hobby are a tiny portion of their income. It will cost them more to do that than what they would make from us. The man power need to monitor this much land is going to be a bit challenging for them. I fore see them taking a financial hit if they do decide to get this crazy. If they do watch out because they will find just the smallest issue just so they can fine you.

trainrider06

Well I was half joking about all that, but they do have an open wallet with our tax dollars you know? :wink: what I am very concerned about is why are they doing this in the first place? Really! I mean the man power to actually enforce this stuff would be as you said very cost prohibiting! So is this some empty threat scare tactic? Or are they actually going to pour money into an open pit that in the end isn't going to be able to stop what we all know anyway? Or are they planning to strangle out the R/C hobby a little at a time, till eventually they kill it off? They have already expressed their willingness to close fields down, and I am sure have a list of target clubs to eventually shut down. It just doesn't make sense, seems to be the same thinking of prohibition, banning guns all of that, the ones up to no good pay no mind to laws and restrictions.

Top Bottom