Trucks Modify Or New??

I'm currently running a G290rc in my Losi DBXL.
Looking at either modifying the top end of it, or upgrading to a obr full mod g340.
Any suggestions? obr, bartalone and esp seem to have some good top end kits for a 290. Problem is where to start?
Looking at milling out my own alloy shock towers etc to create some extra strength, or pulling my finger out and laying up some carbon parts.

Tony

Staff member
If you are looking for more top end out of the engine, then pretty much any top end kit will do that. A new pipe can also help out a lot. But anything will be better than stock, that's for sure.

If you are looking for more top end out of the engine, then pretty much any top end kit will do that. A new pipe can also help out a lot. But anything will be better than stock, that's for sure.

I am currently running ddm dominator pipe on it. Was going to replace stock air filter with a stacked one and add a pre filter. lots of gritty sand n dust where I run

Tony

Staff member
Well if you are anything like me, you like tinkering. And I have rebuild hundreds of two strokes and putting a top end kit, or big block kit makes a world of difference. And also, don't forget about the reed cage. Changing what reeds it has and its shape can have a huge effect on the engine and when it makes power.

I've tinkered more on the electric side, so now really getting into 2 stroke. Trying to find something a bit more torquey. Most of the places I can run it, I rarely have the chance to let it get to top speed, so want a bit more punch down low

Tony

Staff member
From what i have seen of that truck, it has a TON of low end torque once that clutch kicks in. If it doesn't have enough for you though, maybe a gear change is in order. Smaller pinion/clutch gear or larger spur. With that said though, you should get a little more low end, but not near as much as you are going ot gain on the top end.

I didnt think of the obvious, went straight for the more power push!
It's certainly ballsy enough, just like seeing 34cc rather than 29.5cc lol
Just need to find some more open spaces, n get it to the track

Tony

Staff member
Best of both worlds then. Do the top end kit AND lower the gears. That thing should shoot out of the hole like a funny car!

Tony

Staff member
another thing you can do is put a stronger spring on the clutches so it takes more RPM to engage. Higher RPM, Higher up in the power band.

Top Bottom