Spektrum Modes

Bare with me
Lately I have been struggling to fly in mode 2.
The harder I try the worse I get.
I re-read the DX8 manual and it states that I can change to all 4 different modes.
I just cannot mentally keep the quad level when trying to turn without dropping or climbing drastically.
I have even made straps to keep the transmitter level so I could be a pincher instead of a thumber.
In my mind right or wrong I want to throttle with one stick and turn with another.
I know that if I stick to it, it will burn itself in my minds eye but I am getting discouraged and that is something I do not want to happen.
Im currently trying to get beyond that fear of crashing so that I can move forward and FLY but due to this handicap (if you will) I just seem to be loosing confidence.
So I want to try a different mode like mode 4 or at least experiment.
However being new to quads and flying in general I need some knowledge.
Making the change on the transmitter seems pretty straight forward and I sure I can find YouTube videos that go more in depth on the change TX side.
But what about the other end?
Will the RX care?
Will the quad care?
Are there other things I need to consider moving forward?
If I stay consistent in my RC persuit moving forward will result in my own builds wether it is a quad, heli or airplane.
So if any of you have done this or have had the same mental break downs let me know what my options are I would really appreciate it.
BTW if you know of a good YouTube video that shows the mechanical change that would be great.

Admiral

Hi Clayton,

All of the 4 modes involve having the throttle on a gimble with another function, the only way I can see that you could do it is assign the throttle off the gimble to either the Right Knob or on the DX9 to the right or left slider. I have never heard of it being done and I don't think that I would like to fly that way, too much reaction time needed to alter the throttle.

rc-control-modes.jpg

rc-control-modes.jpg

Tony

Staff member
The thing is, in order to turn a quad, it's going to act like a helicopter and you must use rudder, elevator and aileron. So no matter what mode you are on, you are still going to have to use both sticks.

In the USA, we almost all fly mode 2. I highly suggest you stick with mode 2. If you have a sim, get on it and practice as much as you can. One day, something will click and you will have full control.

Turning is not so much the problem as turning and maintaining throttle that's where I'm hitting a wall with. In my silly mind if I'm turning I want to have full control on that gas pedal lol...I know I just have to work on it.

Tony

Staff member
You could go with something like Clearview, but you would have to get a Tx to connect to the computer. And since you already have a DX8, the Phoenix sim is perfect. It's only $129 and it will teach you everything you need to learn. And, you get lifetime updates unlike RealFlight. I have both, and RF is better quality wise IMO, but Phoenix is my go to sim. Even though I have not been on it in quite some time. lol.

I need to search some forums to see if someone is selling theirs at a good price. I will ask around the RC guys at work as well. Maybe next month I can splurge for a Sim. Hey my birthday is next month you guys need to keep me in mind lol lol.

Tony

Staff member
Turning is not so much the problem as turning and maintaining throttle that's where I'm hitting a wall with. In my silly mind if I'm turning I want to have full control on that gas pedal lol...I know I just have to work on it.

There is a way to turn these without using rudder, but on a quad and helicopter, it's much harder than using the rudder. It's called "Bank-N-Yank", but on these, you have to bank 90º and yank on the elevator hard, then roll out of it. but again, this is very hard. If you have not looked at my flight school (which I seriously need to update), take a look at some of the first hover exercises. This includes sitting in a stable hover, and moving the tail around (for a helicopter, but quads fly just like them). Hovering and moving the quad on the yaw axis may help you out.

Stambo

Bank and yank does not work on a quad, you need yaw to fly it properly.
If it is a minquad just make sure you have plenty spare props.
Minis require much more throttle manipulation than almost anything else.
You need to anticipate altitude loss on turns and bump up the throttle a bit.

Unless you have a really bad crash on a really cheap frame all you will likely break is props.
I regard them as a consumable, when my stock gets below 20 I start to think about ordering more.

Lee

It doesn't matter which mode you fly in, it will still be an issue, whether its the rudder or the Aileron.
You just need to practice your thumb movements to where you don't combine the two inputs.

As for sims, the best for quads is Heli-X. It MAC WIN and Linux native.
Its only $50 and is as good if not better than Phoenix.
You have many quads on there. You have 3D areas to fly, including an underground garage.
You can Fly FPV.
It has numerous helicopters including the latest update Goblin Speed.
All you need is a USB adaptor for your radio.
I use this sim with my DX8 and love it.

Lee
Went out to Heli-X however none of the links they have for the USB adapters seems to work.
Wouldn't happen to have a model/part number would you?
I see the trial at least gives me 1 Quad to play around with.
I have found some but want to see what everyone else uses. :)

Lee

I have this one from hitec.
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products/GWS-GWFSM002A-ROUND.html
22958315.jpg

If you have trouble, I have three here.

The link pulled up the large Round version.
I did a search on their site and seen only the Hitec and the Futaba
I will ping the numbers around on Google

Lee
While I am awaiting cable shipment I was wondering if there was anything special you had to do
to setup the TX and the Heli X software?
Any bugs that you experienced?
Not sure what you are on OS wise but I will be on a Win 7 Pro PC.

Admiral

Hi Clayton, been following the thread and downloaded Heli-x trial version, no issues loading it on Win 7 64 bit with Nvidia GeForce video card. Liked it so much I bought the license, no issues there either followed the instructions, paid the money and about two hours later the activation codes turned up.

I also have an old version of Real Flight and the current Clearview, I find that Heli-X is more realistic to fly, maybe a bit harder but a lot closer to the real thing.

Nice thanks admiral.
So as per instructions is it like wizard based.
I loaded to software but after that I've not had much of a chance to check it out since I ended up trial loading it on my work pc.

Top Bottom