Missing thread

treff

Why is it when I make a post it hardly if ever appears in new posts. I also
make a new thread and they never appear anywhere. I'm not the best with
the computer so I must be missing something. Anyone know what? Thanks.
One other thing I seem to be getting rather a lot of spam which seems to be related to
this site. Is there a reason for that ?

Lee

Hi Treff,
If I understand correctly.
When you make a post on a thread, are you then looking for it in New Posts? If you are, it wont be there, because to you its not new, as you just posted in it.
On the other points, I'm not sure whats going on. I'm sure the boss :) will enlighten you.

treff

Thanks Lee. I have posted a few questions that have disappeared into the ether lol.

Last edited:

EyeStation

Hey there Treff, click on your name just after the word "Welcome" at the top of the page. It will take you to a chronological list of your posts.
If you don't see them there, they are in the ether, lol.

And a side note, Great pictures on your Flicker feed. The black and white train photos really got my attention. But stayed another hour + just enjoying your eyes view. Beautiful sir!

Tony

Staff member
As Lee stated, once you read or post a thread, the forum marks it as read for you. So it will not show up in new posts until someone else comments on it. As for the spam, I have checked my folders and there have been no out going messages other than what I have sent. I'm not seeing any spam on teh site (have a constant spam filter in place as well as server side software to keep it out). I know the cookie that is placed on your computer from this site (so that you know when you have new posts and such) is clean. This is checked quite often by the server.

Where are you seeing the spam? Or are you talking about the ads? I have done some changing to the ads that we have on here and it's now showing some things that it didn't used to. Still trying to build a list of what is helping, and what is not, then I'm going to go in and weed out what doesn't help the site.

treff

Thanks for the nice comments EyeStation glad you liked the pictures. Tony one of the advertisers sent over 200 e-mails in one go, all the same. I don't know wether
that was a quirk or what. I also discovered at least 5 of my last post have disappeared but I have since found that this is a problem at this end at the telephone exchange and I am
told they are looking into the reason for lost data. Cheers Tony

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, if there is an issue with their switch, it could keep sending the same packets of data over and over again. When you send something, like an email, it's broken up into packets. Then it sends those packets out to the IP address that you told it to go to. Once it's there, it sends a reply back that it has received the packet and to send another until the entire file is sent. If it never gets that reply that it has received the packets, it will keep sending them. Just glad it's not on my end. The last thing I need right now is more work lmao.

Top Bottom