General Micro planes

This is a simple post. I 'am really just after peoples opinion.
A little about me first.I got into this hobby about three years ago and started with the supercub (800 mm).From then i went to the 1400 mm size. I have fun with the 1400m, but the parks that i can fly at are a bit small.The problem that i have using 1400mm at my parks is that i dont have enough room to land the way you are suppose to (lots of trees).I have been thinking of going from 1400mm to 800 - 1000mm for the parks here.

Now here is the question / opinion that I'd like. What is it like (fun level) flying micro I.E umx beast.I know that because of the size i will not have a problem in the parks here for room

zenmetsu

I picked up my UMX Mig15 and I am having a blast with it. I am limited in the stunts that I can pull off due to the lack of prop wash with the ducted fan, but the beast should be pretty nice. I am actually thinking about picking up an Edge 540QQ since I am having so much fun with this other E-Flite plane, and I'd like to do some harriers and knife-edges. My little miglet just doesn't have the capability, but it is quite fast and fun.

The new UMX Beast has AS3X like my Mig. It helps out immensely with gusts and wind, especially when flying something as light as an ultra micro. I think that you'd have a lot of fun with the Beast.

The only bummer that I have run into is the receiver. Don't get me wrong, the device isn't defective, but it *IS* a 6-channel receiver, and I think that it could use some more flexibility. E-Flite is wiring up the CH6 connector as an inverted CH2 and using dual aileron servos. This is fine and all, but you cannot pull off something like flaperons or spoilerons because you'd have to de-link the ailerons by going to CH6 independence, and the AS3X system unfortunately only works on CH2. If they had a firmware upgrade that would allow AS3X aileron to control CH2 and CH6, we'd be in business!

Someone is already in the process of making UMX button retract gears, so using CH5 for gear would be awesome, especially when other scale planes come out next year.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Zenmetsu, your plane is an UMX? I didn't know they put the stabilization in those. Guess that shows that I Have not looked into them lately lol. Last I knew, there was only a couple including the Beast that had that.

zenmetsu

Yup, ultra micro. It weighs 2.71oz total with factory battery. 2.77oz if I put the Hyperion 240mAh battery in.

There is a super lightweight 5.8GHz FPV system that I am going to fit into the fuse next.

After I got the trim dialed in, the thing is like a dart in the air. The problem initially was that I had the battery too far forward and dialed in too much up elevator. This required ridonculous amounts of down elevator to hold inverted flight. I found out that moving the battery to the very back of the battery cavity allowed me to fly it level with only two clicks of down elevator. When flying inverted now, I do not need any down elevator to keep it level. It could just be the AS3X working, but the pilot workload is significantly reduced.

I really want them to come out with an F-86 now so that I can go dogfight someone.

Top Bottom