General Measuring Head Speed

Derek

I recently came across an app for my Android phone called "Heli-Head Speed." As the name suggests, it will turn your phone into a head speed measuring device. I've not used any thing like this before because I am always away from the helicopter as it spools up for lift off.

I'm curious about suggestions/opinions on the safest way to use this app. I was firstly thinking about making something that I could strap down the helicopters landing gear and even run some fastening straps through the frame to secure the helicopter. Then go into the Swashplate function and zero out the pitch so that there would be "0" pitch, therefore no lift off. Then I could spin up the helicopter and use the app to measure the head speed.

Any thoughts???

pvolcko

Many of these apps actually work of sound frequency, not using the camera to measure it. In that case you can just place the phone down near it and spool it up and see what it comes up with. If it is visual (camera based, or you are using a lcd or mechanical shutter type timing device) you should probably have a friend operate it to take the measurement (or have a heli friend spin it up for you while you take the measurement).

murankar

Staff member
If its what I have I paid the money for it. Well worth it for what it is.

I have used mine on my Protos and I was able to dial in my head speed.

Put the Protos on the test stand and spooled it up and waited a minute or two to get the measurements. Location of the phone was on the base of the test stand. If you do the 500 I would suggest sand bags on the test stand for the weight.

Lee had suggested it to me so I got it.

Last edited:

Derek

Yes, I'm sure that the app measures via sound, not photo. Is it necessary to zero out the pitch? I'm sure it is...for safety reasons. I surely don't want to be at full collective pitch and 100% throttle, trying to get a measurement, and POOF and BANG...the rotor head goes into the ceiling.

murankar

Staff member
I dont think I zeroed the pitch, sice I was only trying it at 60% just to see where I was at. Once I got my numbers I was able to set my throttle curve to 0 40 70 7070. I did the math based on 80% efficiency and then did the math for 60 and 70. Then I took a reading at 60 and it was close to what I wanted. In the end I was able to get my head speed in the ball park of what I wanted.

Stambo

I think if you zero the pitch you won't get a true reading as there is no load so it will spin more freely.
I could be wrong but just a thought.

Top Bottom