Scale MD500 TOW Defender

philmill

Very happy with my new build Israli MD500TD it fly's very nice so its time to start on the body detailing its a lot of work approx 2500 rivets to add ( had some good tips from my work mate danhampson on how to do the rivets ) , i have added the wires to the TOW launchers these were made from aluminium welding rods very light and easy to work with , i have made the roof gutters out of plastic angle and fixed them with M1.2 screws when painted they look like rivets , up to now i have added rivet detail to the "dog house" and part of the front canopy ,

i will post more detail and pics as the build progresses

c1.jpgc2.jpgc3.jpgc4.jpgc5.jpgc6.jpgc7.jpgc8.jpgc9.jpgc10.jpgc11.jpgc12.jpg

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

c6.jpg

c7.jpg

c8.jpg

c9.jpg

c10.jpg

c11.jpg

c12.jpg

philmill

No Dan followed your tips 2 parts pva 1 part talc worked 1st time drilled the nozzel out to 1mm on the applicator then off we went , once they are dry just colour them in got the perfect match so i can keep her flying just keep adding more detail .

philmill

Thanks Dan , get cracking on your 500 my mate will shoot some pics and video of them both flying together should be fun ,

pvolcko

Wow, great detail work on that. Especially like the conduit/piping and the drip edge around the top of the doors.

Lee

Very nice mate,
My Dad and i were just talking yesterday about using superglue and Talc as a filler. It goes rock hard. Probably too quick for making rivets. :D

philmill

Thanks Lee , pva and talc is the best combo its hard after a couple of hours on the model but it stays soft in the applicator bottle so you can leave and carry on the day after without mixing anymore .

we use the E-cigs fill up bottle its perfect i found opening up the nozzel to 1mm let the glue come through easy and you can control the size of rivet you need and you get hundreds before a refill

philmill

Looking really good has it been flown with the body fitted?

Thanks Admiral , yes i have flown it in the body it flys very well and stable with the AR7200BX , it needed some weight in the nose to get the balance right ( with scale its always better to fit larger batterys instead of adding weight ) i am using 6000mah battery now with extra bonus of 12 mins flight times now

b5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

managed to get a bit more riveting done round the front , i have fitted a super bright serchlight from a scale truck i will have this swichable from the transmitter

c13.jpgc14.jpgc15.jpgCIMG5950.jpg

b5.jpg

c13.jpg

c14.jpg

c15.jpg

CIMG5950.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

philmill

Managed to get some more rivet detail done its a long job 1000's to do ,
nice day today so i went out flying with it very happy that when flying close and hovering you can see all the extra detail.

- - - Updated - - -

c18.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

c18.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

c19.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

111.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

112.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

113.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

114.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

115.jpg

c18.jpg

c19.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

Lee

Really nice job Phil.
Your tempting me more and more to build something scale.

Lee

Just an idea. Not sure it would work or not.
Can you not just add the paint to the rivet mixture, so they are ready painted?

philmill

thanks Lee ,You know you want scale , they looks the dogs at the flying field and they sound good too Not sure if the PVA would dry its no big problem to spot them in after they have set

Lee

Do you have a close up of the tail box?
Did you paint it as well. It looks different from the stock Align.
My scale build will have to wait. Too many other projects first, and not, I mean no money left in the RC bank account, after the Goblin :)

Top Bottom