Scale MD 500 E, 450 class

Boogs

Hi everyone! New guy to the fold here, been flying helicopters for a couple of years now. I have a couple small scale, 250 class builds to date and am ready to move up in scale. My next build is really more of a re-build and update to a MD 500E I picked up used. Mechanics are from a Blade 450X, a very early release as it has the straight cut main/pinion gears and plastic servos. I am changing the main and pinion to spiral cut, upgrading the servos to MG, replacing the motor and ESC. I don't like how the tail feathers were mounted so that will be addressed as well.
Of course I have a question! I have the E-Flight 450 helicopter motor, it's listed at 3600kv, so any recommendations for the ESC are welcome. I'm in northern CA, and it gets quite warm here. I also have a 5 blade head on order. If I can figure out how to up-load some pictures, I will do! Thanks!

Tony

Staff member
To upload pictures, just click the button below the reply box that says "Upload A File Or Photo" and select them from your computer.

As for that motor and ESC, It looks like anything between 40 and 60 amps will work.

Boogs

Thanks Tony. I checked every button...on top and didn't look down. So here's my MD, apart and waiting it's upgrades.

MD 500E.JPG

Boogs

The goal is to be airworthy this spring, still a couple items to arrive. Another project has priority right now, but look out when that's done.

Boogs

On order now are the ESC and an AR7210BX. I received a shipping notice for the 5 blade head, it had been on back order since February 1st, should arrive middle of next week. As the spring projects finish up, the timing is good to get back on track and have this airworthy as early as April. The plan is to borrow the MG servos from my 300 CFX (to be replaced later). Also in the lineup, is a 450 class UH-1C, thinking of a Cal Fire paint job.

Boogs

Parts arrived and the first thing I noticed is the main shaft included with the 5 blade setup is shorter than the 450X. Looks like the drill press will solve that. I'm thinking to build a box to clamp to the drill press table holding the shaft for drilling. Has anyone any recommendations or tips for drilling a main shaft? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

holtneil

Hi the last time I did it i just put the two shafts in a soft jaw vice and use the hole in the main shaft to drill through the new shaft , it will not matter if the hole is not in line with the gear hole at the bottom its the height of the hole on the shaft length that is important

holtneil

Hi its a fixed head not a floating one so the blades will be flexible , it will build the same as a normal head just remember to phase the blade grips by 90 degs

Boogs

Thanks Neil, doing my homework on this. The phasing seems rather straight forward, but if I get stuck I know where to find help.

thanks ,Boogs
I think I will order the md500 little bird special ops.
looks bad azz to me.
the 5 blade head is a must for sure.
what fbl system do you run on your helis

Boogs

I'm using the AR7210BX. Love the military jobs, just can't see them as well so that's why the colorful paint.

Top Bottom