Servos mcpx servos swappable with spektrum servos.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
MCPX uses SPMAS2000LBB ($26.99) from the factory.. It is a ball bearing version. it costs 26 bucks and is currently out of stock till late july 2011.

Well, I found out there is a cheaper and perfect substitute to them. The servos are made by spektrum (same basic company) , long throw... just the difference is they are 1.7gm onstead of 1.9 gm, mainly because they dont have bearings, they run on bushings. They cost 18.99 from a LHS.

I had to replace mine, and i replaced it with these, they come with a long wire, which i shortened, but that was it. They work Perfectly.. NO ISSUES AT ALL...

Also, if for some reason your gear and pinion on servo mechanics goes crappy on you. You can replace it with a msr one ($1.99). which is perfectly identical to the ones on mpcx , so it can save u a lot of time and money. :)

hope this helps...

here is the product number of the spektrum servo: part number (SPMAS2000L)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPMAS2000L&utm_source=froogle

Tony

Staff member
I would suggest replacing that servo with teh correct one as soon as they come into stock. With the weaker motor, and the bushings, they are not the same, and will cause problems. The cyclic servos should all be the same for predictable flight.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
did u read the specs on it? everything is identical (95perc of it atleast). and I agree that if u can get the original one, rather go for that... . But for now, when they are not available on any lhs or website (except ebay has some.. but i am never sure about those), I would rather get a spektrum servo rather than a knock off.. lol..
and they are not any weaker in flight... I have been doing inverted and all sorts of junk on this servo now. NO ISSUE. :)

Tony

Staff member
Did you read what I said? The 3 servos need to be EXACTLY alike, not 95% alike. But, if it's working for you, great.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i know i know. An thats what i said, its a great "substitute", may be not perfect.. And i talked to some guys here, and they said it'll be fine for the time being! lol... so i am enjoying my mcpx now.. :D

Tony

Staff member
lmao, as long as it's working, you are correct, it's a good sub for the original one. Just remember that bushings have more drag than bearings, and even though we are talking about 1/5 of a gram difference in power, it can still affect it. I'm all about symmetry, it's just who I am hahaha

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i called horizon yesterday, to check on my order of the replacement board. I actually had already recieved it at home, i didnt know... lol... but anywhew i found out that the last dude i was talking to on horizon set an order for a servo replacement for me (even if i was not supposed to get one, cause i hwas just enquiring if he could set it up for me where i could buy it and he could ship that too) ... they are on backorder, as soon as they become available i will be shipped one for free!!! :) .
Now i have two main boards, got the new one installed last night, and will soon have a new servo too.. so i'll get all "symmetrical", and keep the spektrum one as a backup... :)

alecrust

Just for info, I swapped a blown servo for a SPMAS2000L, and it did not work. The servo was keeping it's position, but no movement. On close inspection I found a 3k3 0805 resistor soldered across signal and ground where the wires are connect to the PCB. This resistor is not soldered onto pads, it is just plonked on the pads opposite where the wires com in. I removed this resistor and voila, working fine.

My original servo blew one of the sot-363 dual mosfets, and I can't get hold of replacements without incurring huge shipping charges, so I just bought the cheap one. I will replace the servo mechanics with the ball bearing set from the original servo, because I read elsewhere that the bushing do pack up fairly quickly. I might just try to get hold of the msr servo mechanics and use as backup!

Top Bottom