Micro MCPx main gear slipping

callsign4223

Staff member
Just wondering if this is normal. It seems like my main gear is slipping down the driveshaft more than it used to. I still crash a lot, but it doesn't seem like they are any harder than they used to be. It was especially bad today, with the gear slipping so far as to completely disengage from the pinion and let the head slide up to the point that the bearing disengaged from the frame and the whole head/shaft assembly was just flopping around. The first time this happened I just assumed I had hit harder than usual, the second time though I stopped flying because I was worried about damaging the drivetrain or head. The gear is still difficult to push back up all the way on the shaft when I put it back into place. So, am I just crashing harder than usual, or do I need to replace something?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
slipping gear is a good thing.... believe it or not it takes a lot of the stres off the head parts and min shaft when it slips out... I have been working on figuring out a way to not have the little connector rods to the blde grips fly away every time... and believe me, main gear plays a HUGE role! :)

just every crash, press your head and gear with your thumb and finger, you'll hear a click every time it is perfectly tightly sitting. but its good, and as far as after a full flight, and no crash, your gear isnt moving, its good. if without crash it moves, then its too loose.

Tony

Staff member
This is normal, and I actually did it a couple times today lol. Pretty much, you want something to give, rather than break. This is why the gear will slip, or you will lose a link, but never actually break anything. Just stick the bearings back in, pop the main gear back on the main shaft, and do it again. Completely normal bro! Now lets see some video :biggrin1:. We crave video...

callsign4223

Staff member
So, I should hear a click when pushing it back up? I don't think I have ever heard it click when pushing it back into place.

Tony

Staff member
You wont' always hear a click. Teh click is just the main gear slipping and hitting the bearing, letting you know it's seated. As you stated, it takes a good amount of force to put it back on, so there are no worries there.

callsign4223

Staff member
Also, as far as the video goes, short of duck taping my phone to my forehead, no video camera. While I am sure it would be effective, removal would not be very pleasant :)

Lee

Did the same yesterday. Main gear almost came off and top bearing popped out. Also my swash bearing pops out on a regular basis too. All normal. Also make sure the shaft aligns with the main gears flat spot. As in a crash the shaft will spin slightly out of alignment with the flat spot.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Also, as far as the video goes, short of duck taping my phone to my forehead, no video camera. While I am sure it would be effective, removal would not be very pleasant :)

well you can use a ball cap. attach velcro to the cap and back of the phone. stick phone to hat, start up camera app and film away?? I think you should try the duck tape idea just once Red Green style.. call it a "flying with Bill" segment

callsign4223

Staff member
The main gear was misaligned on the main shaft. After removing it and re-aligning it I have had much less slipping of the gear.

Now that you have invoked red green, I can't not use duck tape in some manner to get some video. :)

Top Bottom