MCPx in the Park

callsign4223

Staff member
So, after meeting Tony and picking up my new DX6i I am feeling braver and take my MCPx outside for the first time yesterday. 2 batteries in the yard and everything seems SO much easier on the DX6i compared to the DX4. However, the yard isn't quite big enough. So today I decided to take the heli out to the park and bring my dad and son along for the show. On the first battery everything goes smooth, and I am zipping along. I even got up the courage to point the tail away from me (okay, so it was an accident, but I still recovered and made it LOOK like it was on purpose). First battery dies and I switch to the second one, now feeling a little(lot) cocky. Start into it and spin the tail around on purpose this time, big mistake. Now I have whirling blades of death poised to take out 3 generations of my family, ok it's only an mcpx maybe I should say slightly maim 3 generations of my family. I yell duck and smack the trainer switch, which is where the T/H switch is on the DX4, which doesn't help a whole lot. MCPx misses the family and plows into the ground. I go to the check the damage, and luckily all that happened is that both blade linkages popped completely off. No big deal, I got spares in the box. Only turns out I had used the last one already and forgot to order more. So now I get to wait on parts, and prove to my father once more that my ego has outstripped my actual vehicle control abilities. :D

Tony

Staff member
hahaha, been there done that, actually I think we all have. I'm happy that it's all working out with the DX6i (other than the T-Hold swith). Now if I can just get my DX8, I will be able to fly again lmao.

Hey, where did you order your batteries for this bird? It's time for me to order some more. Then, I will have to order the 5 into one so I can charge them faster lol.

Lee

Well done on your first outing. Those links are a must have spare. I luckily have a whole bunch. Replaced two yesterday, not cause i lost them but because they were so loose they would fly off the swash mid flight :D
Broke a ball off the swash but just turn it 90º and used the other two. Metal swash on the way :D

Tony

Staff member
Metal swash? Not sure I would want to add the extra weight to it. Let us know how it works out for ya. May be a good upgrade if it doesn't add much weight.

Lee

My friend here has one and from the way he flys, i don't see the weight effecting it. I'm fed up of the bearing popping out and the ball breaking off was the last straw. Gotta buy one so metal it is :D

callsign4223

Staff member
Smart Shopper Radio Controlled Toys: #8: Lightning Power Li-po 300mAh 3.7V 1S 35C for mCPx (4)

There is the link for them. I usually only get to fly on the weekends so it gives me all week to charge the suckers one at a time on the celectra trickle charger that comes with the mcpx. That may change with the days getting longer though, may have to get ahold of a real charger and the multi-port device myself.

One question, do you buy the parts local or online. The prices seem comparable for the parts at least, but then you gotta deal with the local stores that don't seem to care about your business. I dunno, maybe I have just been having bad luck with the places I have been going, but it almost seems like it's a hassle for them to actually interact with me.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for the link. As for the parts, I usually go to Hobby Town USA for my mcpx parts. But, if I have a large order, and need to order Align parts, I will order from ReadyHeli. Fair shipping prices, and a great website. And, you will get a mint with your order lmao.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
I'm going to order an McpX v2 today from Great Hobbies (canadian store shipping is killing me from HobbyKing) BLH3600 - Blade mCP X v2 RTF w/DX4e @ Great Hobbies . I crave something to fly, and these look like a good place to start until I can afford a Chaos and Dx8.

Would you guys mind giving me a list of parts I will need to order for it now? Other than spare batteries and blade linkages that I know about so far. Thanks.

Tony

Staff member
The blade links are a must have, order two of those lmao. Every crash, more than likely you will lose one or both. Batteries are nice to have, but I still only have two. Because I have to charge them after two flights, I'm not tempted to run the crap out of the motor. Hence, it saves the motor. If you want great visibility, get the KBDD blades. Much better IMO, and I plan on getting these soon. You will break a tail boom, but don't worry about ordering a new tail, just order some 2mm carbon fiber spars. You will have to do some work to replace your first one, but I have not broken the solid tail yet, and I crash it a LOT lmao.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else you may need.

Just remember though, the DX4 is not that great of a Tx. if you have the money, order the DX6i Tx only for now. I just sold my DX6i to a guy that was using the DX4, and he said it was a major difference in feel, and function going from the 4 to the 6i. When you are starting out, you don't need the DX8, or the DX7s, just get the DX6i, you will be happy for years to come.

Lee

Get 6 batteries and a parallel charge lead. Waiting for one battery at a time is a real drag, and waist a perfectly good flying day. I have ordered one and some new batteries. A set of landing skids. I have snapped the mounting pole off two sets now.

callsign4223

Staff member
Quick trip to the LHS after work and I have new blade links and some carbon fiber rod for the tail boom. I figured I would give the extended tail boom a shot and cut the rod at 6 inches. Gave it a quick test flight in the living room and everything seems to be stable. Now I need to get it outside and see how much difference the extension made. Hopefully the solid rod will be more durable than the tubes that come stock also. Here is a picture of the heli post surgery with the stock boom next to it for comparison. The only thing about the extension is that the wires for the tail motor barely reached.

Photo Mar 26, 9 46 26 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 26, 9 46 26 PM.jpg

Tony

Staff member
The longer tail won't do well in the wind, but will help with pitch pumps. Get out there and give it a go.

Top Bottom