Micro mCP X Brushless Conversion Help!!!

Gahawn

I'm trying to figure all this stuff out. I came here because it looks like there's a lot of good info but research was never my strong suit. I'm having a hard time piecing everything together. Here's what I THINK I know so far.

I'm going with an HP05S brushless main motor. That paired with an XP-7A ESC flashed with BLHeli code should take care of my main, right? (I got this info off the Asteroid Designs website).

Now my concerns...

I know the frame needs a slight modification to get the main motor to fit. Won't that weaken the frame?

One of my bigger concerns is tail blowout. Upgrading the main won't help this. I have to upgrade the tail also but I don't want the huge and heavy 120sr tail. What are my options here? Can I just go with a larger tail motor or do I need a brushless conversion for that also?

Batteries... I'm assuming that I'll need to step up to the 550mAh batteries that are out there now. Not a problem for me really but what about the weight? Am I going to have to rebalance the bird?

My head is swimming with possibilities. It's too much to absorb at once. Please help me sort this out.

xokia

I'm trying to figure all this stuff out. I came here because it looks like there's a lot of good info but research was never my strong suit. I'm having a hard time piecing everything together. Here's what I THINK I know so far.

I'm going with an HP05S brushless main motor. That paired with an XP-7A ESC flashed with BLHeli code should take care of my main, right? (I got this info off the Asteroid Designs website).

Now my concerns...

I know the frame needs a slight modification to get the main motor to fit. Won't that weaken the frame?

One of my bigger concerns is tail blowout. Upgrading the main won't help this. I have to upgrade the tail also but I don't want the huge and heavy 120sr tail. What are my options here? Can I just go with a larger tail motor or do I need a brushless conversion for that also?

Batteries... I'm assuming that I'll need to step up to the 550mAh batteries that are out there now. Not a problem for me really but what about the weight? Am I going to have to rebalance the bird?

My head is swimming with possibilities. It's too much to absorb at once. Please help me sort this out.
Sinve the BL MCPX came out it kinda suprises me people would still choose to convert. There are a number of guys here that have done the brushless conversion so they can help you.

Tony

Staff member
Cutting the frame is why I chose to put the carbon fiber frame in my heli. And it sounds like you have evernthing. Flashing the main board should take care of needing "thesteve" to convert a brushed signal to a brushless signal so the ESC can understand it.

Gahawn

I wasn't thinking about flashing the main board. I was going to flash the ESC with BLHeli code. I didn't even know you could flash the main board. How would I do that?

Tony

Staff member
That I don't know. I have "thesteve" on my heli with the ESC. There are members on here (I think coolgabsi has done this) that have flashed their board. I'm not sure about what you are wanting to do but it may pretty much do the same thing, but allow the ESC to accept the brushed signal. I'm not sure and didn't find much information on it with their site.

If you have not seen it yet, I did do a video on teh brushless conversion that I did. You can see it in the link below. And NO, I will not say where I got it because they have the worst CS out there lol.

Rc-Help - Blade mCP-X Brushless Conversion

Gahawn

And NO, I will not say where I got it because they have the worst CS out there lol.

Oh, then you must have got them from Wow Hobbies. They're only a few miles from my house but I'll never shop there. EVER!

- - - Updated - - -

So do you know how I get a brushless tail motor to work? Am I going to need a separate ESC for that?

Tony

Staff member
lmao, I see their reputation is horrible everywhere lmao.

And if you put a brushless tail on it, you will need an ESC for that as well.

Gahawn

OK, so maybe I should just go with a 7mm tail mount and do a slightly larger brushed motor. That should take care of the tail blowout issue.

- - - Updated - - -

One last question... with the carbon frame you didn't have to do any cutting? Was that a MicroHeli frame or another brand?

Tony

Staff member
Nope, it was a direct fit for the brushless HP05 motor that I put in there. And it's working great even today. Well, if my board wasn't giving me fits that is lol. And yes, it's a microheli frame.

Lee

I use the Rakon frame and 7mm tail motor mount on mine. I have the C05M motor which is less powerful than the HP05 so the 7mm tail motor works well with that. Not sure how the HP05 will hold with the 7mm motor. I have no issues with tail blowouts. 550mah will give you more time. I use the Nano 300mah on mine and get 4mins. I get all my MCPX parts from Hawk-RC
I'm actually considering to sell mine. It comes with all the upgrades and spare C05M motor, but now the new BL MCPX is out, i'm not sure what price i will get for it.

Tony

Staff member
Not worth it Lee. If yours is like mine, you have over 3 bills in it and you MIGHT get a bill back out of it. Mine is just hanging on the wall with the mSR.

Top Bottom