Micro mCP-X Brushless Conversion Chat

Tony

Staff member
In this thread, I want all of the info you can possibly find on the mCP-X brushless conversions. If you have it, post it up. If it's good enough, I will sticky this sucker!

So I have been looking lately at some of the conversions out there. After receiving my DX8, and doing two full days of killing my two mCP-X batteries, i realized i need the brushless motor is I'm to do anymore with this heli. So I started looking. There are some rules that I must follow though. Batteries that cost $2.96 each I'm not worried about getting a bad one. But, with something like the conversion, I want specific. This item must be in the USA, shipped from the USA, and be able to be warrantied in the USA. I can't stand eBay and avoid it like plague. This pretty much leaves WowHobbies in California. They have a complete brushless kit, with ESC and a new tail, and you don't have to solder anything! There is also a kit that has a CF frame, and you don't have to modify anything on the stock frame since you are replacing it.

In the below videos, you will see the kit with the HP05 brushless motor in this helicopter, and until the battery runs down, it hardly bogs more than a big heli would. There is also the C05, but it's not quite as powerful, but will last a little longer in the air. From what I understand, tick tocks are out of the question with the C05.

Here are the two kits mentioned above, with and without the frames. And, you can get the frames with or without the third main bearing... Yeah, too many choices lol.

$170 C05 dual bearing
$176 C05 tri bearing
$130 C05 kit only (no frame)
$100 C05 kit, no frame, no tail

$175 HP05 Dual Bearing
$180HP05 Tri Bearing
$136 HP05 No Frame
$106 HP05 No Frame, No Tail

As you can see, there are a lot of options. I'm torn as to what to do lol. I like the frame, but the motor will fit in the stock frame with very little modifications. And, the stock frame is lighter, so it should flip and roll faster, and use less energy to stay in the air.

I know I will be sticking with the stock blades as they are the best overall out there. The KBDD are great for those that need to see the heli, but they flex more than I like, and even pro pilots are not using them because of this. I'm sure some are, but not the one posted below.

The video in the parking lot is the HP05 motor with tail and frame. Just sick. The other one they comment on the KBDD blades. Just look at how floppy his blades are lmao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7154c-lfM4

THAT'S IT!!! I HAVE TO HAVE BRUSHLESS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHZ0dgAnD88

Post up your thoughts. If you are wanting to do a region specific deal like I just did, click on the "Go Advanced" button in the quick reply box, and change the title of your reply to match what you are doing. Otherwise, lets hear it guys!!!

Last edited:

Lee

I spent $190 with these guys but unfortunately they had to refund me. Something to do with paypal and my address??? Never had a problem before. But there stuff is good and price is good too.
Tony, that MH frame looks good, but i have heard that the rear delrin boom holder strips very easily. I'm gonna get the RKN frame. Almost the same price but looks more sturdy and has a metal boom holder.
As for the C05 and HP05 it depends on what you want.
If you want something similar to stock but with a better tail and more constant power, the C05 is great and has the crash resistance of the stock heli. And you can still use the stock tail if you dont want to upgrade that too.
If you want better power for 3D then the HP05 is great but every crash will be more like flying a bigger heli, ie something is gonna break. And unless you start using 550mah batteries, at 100% throttle you'll be spent in 1.30min LOL
Me i'm getting the C05 with the 10A ESC so if i decide to get the HP05, I won't need to change the ESC.
Now if you are a power freak. the HP06 or 08 with 12A ESC and HP03 BL tail with 3A ESC will turn your docile little MCPX into a monster mosquito on crack LOL.
I will be buying the 7mm tail motor and mount. This gives the tail better authority over the stock, still using the KBDD tail blades.
Hope this helps.
Lee

Tony

Staff member
I'm a power freak, you know that. The HP05 is the motor I'm going with if I get this kit. If I have to buy batteries, then I have to buy batteries. But, there is just something in me that says "don't get a kit for a heli that small that costs more than your badass 50" Edge 540" lmao. And I have to agree, there is no way I can actually get a kit like this and sleep at night. I will spend my $200 on something bigger and better.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
you can check these guys out Tony. I bought all my upgrades from their eBay store. shipping is next to nothing for you US residents. Go Nitro Hobbies - Best Source for Radio Control ( R/C or RC ) Cars, Trucks, Airplanes, Boats, Helicopters

I ordered this motor : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130670831093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
and this esc: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190658324900?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
this cnc upgrade: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130670837123?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I also ordered kbdd blades, 5 300 nanotech batteries, bulletproof skids, and a couple 120sr tails with motors. I think so far I've put close to $700 into the bird including the dx6i, taxes and plenty of shipping. seeing you all fly your stuff, and practicing on the flight sim, hardly crashing at all now. point is, I'm hooked good now.

Last edited:

Lee

Tony

Staff member
What about the ESC and the signal converter?

I went ahead and jumped on the brushless bandwagon to try and help out those that want a purchase only deal. I have the full kit on it's way here (HP05, I will just tune it down a little, or run a 100, 75, 100 throttle curve), and it should be a fun build. More for those people out there that want a full kit rather than piecing something together. Just hope it pays off in the end, and I help someone out lol. Man hitting that submit button was hard hahaha.

Lee

You didn;t look closely enough at the pretty pictures Tony :D motor/esc and free blades Plug and play for $65

Tony

Staff member
I guess I didn't haha. Hell of a deal. Is that 7mm tail motor going to do enough for this bird? I know I need to get some 3mm rod for this tail I have coming. It's just a hollow tube and will break soon. Hm, now where can I find some of those 500mah batteries.... :biggrin1:

Lee

Yes the 7mm motor is stronger than the original and with the C05 motor it should be good. I wanted to go for longevity rather than full on power with the HP05. But if i get bored i can just upgrade the motor.
I ordered the RKN frame as well. Just didn't like the tail on the MH one after seeing a guy strip out the tail mount numerous times. Nice that we got the two different options though motor and frame. It will be a good comparison.
All up i spent $152 which included a metal swash plate and some other goodness to bling it that i'll unveil when i build it. :D

Tony

Staff member
I can't actually say what I spent lmao. But, I decided on the HP05 because I would rather have the power there and not need it, than not have it and need it. Teh 120 tail I'm hoping will work better than this crap tail I have been dealing with. I'm hoping to go to about 110% on teh pitch. Right now, even full throws on the cyclic is blowing the tail out. I have to do all of the flips and suck on low rate, which is why it flips so friggin slow and loses so much altitude. I hope that is about to coem to an end with a full rebuild.

Lee

Yes but for sure its your batteries causing most of that tail issue. I have 0 issue with my good battery and the others..... they suck!!! If i'm unhappy with the C05 then its only another $30 to get the HP05 or i have seen the Spin motor that is 16500KV!!!!! the HP05 is 13000KV

Tony

Staff member
yeah, my batteries were not taken care of. If I remember, I flew them, then they sat in a box for about 3 months. I'm sure that was the death of those guys. Gaba sent me a 6 port lead, so I will be able to charge these on my good charger and put a storage charge in them when I'm not going to fly for a while. It's going to be nice to have 6 batteries though. Or how is it you say it? "Batrees"? :lmao:

Top Bottom