MAYDAY MAYDAY Glider down!!!!!

Lee

Sunday was a very hard day.
Flew my glider at a new location. Unfortunately, my spotter (wife :D ) lost sight of the glider.
I decided to come back and land, but got behind a rocky out crop, and lost video signal, followed quickly by radio.

After a few expletives, and running around like a headless chicken :) we got in the car and went to have a look for it.
Not knowing where, I just drove in the direction I guessed it was going.

I got no RSSI signal, so we were either going the wrong way, or the battery had unplugged.
We were just about to give up, when a couple of guys asked if we were looking for a plane. :D
Passing us a pair of binoculars, we spotted it half way down a hill in a eucalyptus forest.
It was shear luck that these two guys in the middle of nowhere, saw it go down.
Unfortunately, it was at the top of a 30ft tree :(

Well, after more than two hours of frustration, and throwing stones, and sticks at it, I took the bit between my teeth and climbed the tree coconut style :)
With no branches for the first 15ft, I was knackered by the time I got up there.

Got the plane down, but canopy, Mobius dock, and Mobius were not to be seen :(
Another 30mins searching, in thorny thick bush, and we found it.
OMG!!!! the Mobius wasn't in the dock!!!!
Could it get any worse.
But my beautiful wife with her beady eye spotted it in a bush covered with leaves :D

So apart from one slightly damaged wing, we recovered everything.
And most important, the camera, and the footage.
Check it out.
YouTube

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Video is private bro. Good deal that you got it all back though with little damage.

Admiral

Know the problem Lee this where my brother-in laws Brand new Parkzone Super Cub ended up on it and his second ever flight day before yesterday, up about 80 feet, had to get a professional to recover it.

[video=youtube_share;kr_CyJJ8cFk]https://youtu.be/kr_CyJJ8cFk[/video]

Blade_flyer

I put mine in a tree last November. I have a arrow with a weight on the nose that I tie a string to. I shoot that over a limb close to the plane with the bow. Then, grab both ends of the string and shake the limb until the plane falls out. I figure it's cheaper than the ER bill I would receive when I fall from the tree! I'm too old and fat to climb trees!

Bud

trainrider06

Looks like you are ready to enter those contests they have shimmying up coconut trees Lee! :wink:
Glad you recovered it....that was a stroke of luck to even find it for sure!

Derek

That was a fantastic flight with an amazing view, Lee! I can't imagine how you felt after your "coconut climb". WOW! Glad you got everything back!

Top Bottom