500 making a trex 500 a "true 500 class helicopter"

Derek

So, I think most of us know that an Align Trex 500 isn't a "true 500 class helicopter.". What would need to be done to make an Align 500 a "true 500 class helicopter?"

Lee

500mm Blades :)
But you would need to stretch the tail to get clearance for the tail rotor.
I can't find any kits, but there are plenty of people that have done it DIY.

Derek

Would there be a need for a different motor? My Trex 500 has the stock Align 1600kv motor. Since there would be a bit more "blade", would there be a need for more power?

Tony

Staff member
I would go with the 600mx motor at least. Or go with the motor that they use in the Gobby 500.

Derek

the 600mx motor won't fit in the frame. I've got some browsing to do, lol. I just looked at the Quanum 1100kv motor and the Scorpion motor for the Goblin 500/570.

Tony

Staff member
I think MKS might make a motor powerful enough to spin 500mm blades, but you are going to pay for it.

murankar

Staff member
Check out the kde motors as well. Those things are super beefy in power.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

fhu667

You're also going to have to think about tail rotor speed. With the slower headspeed you're going to lose some tail authority.

Derek

I know for a fact that a stretch kit for the trex500 is in the making ;)

Thanks for that, Marius! I appreciate the reply. If you find out anything further on that kit, please let me know. I am very interested! I'm going to need two stretch kits for the Trex 500.

cml001

Did u look at the Tarot site.. They may have one.. Their clones are a drop in fit on Align products... I don't know if they do have a kit to stretch it but they may.

Derek

yes, I've checked with the Tarot site. They do have a 450 to 480 stretch kit but nothing for a Trex 500.

Derek

I would go with the 600mx motor at least. Or go with the motor that they use in the Gobby 500.

After several hours of searching around and looking at Quantum motors, Scorpion motors, KDE motors and some others, the 600mx 1220kv motor really looks promising. I'm torn between the 600mx 1220kv and the Scorpion 4025-1100. The 600mx is $50 cheaper. I imagine a Castle 130amp esc, teamed up with my mild 3D skills, lol, would work well with either motor.

Derek

It's beginning to look like I just need to convert my 500 over to a torque tube tail. I just can't seem to find a longer belt that will work for the stretch.

I read an article about a guy that used a 648 tooth belt instead of the 541 tooth Align belt for his stretch. I've contacted him but haven't gotten any reply.

Bummer!

Derek

After some further searching, it seems that if I really want to make my Trex 500 a "true 500 class" helicopter, I'll have to convert to a torque tube tail. I can do that. I found some very helpful tips for a DIY. Once I get the parts and pieces together, I think I'm gonna go ahead and order a set of 500mm blades and get this stretch going. Should be pretty cool!!!

Top Bottom