Servos Making a servo 'Y' adapter

bigone5500

I'm assuming all I need to do is crimp a female terminal on one wire then two male ends on two other wires. That is straight forward. But connecting the three wires together, I'm assuming, is as simple as soldering the like colors together and applying heat shrink. However, I have had the idea that I can crimp a female end on a single piece of wire, then take another wire and crimp male ends on each end. Then strip off the insulation from the center and solder the female wire to that. The only issue with that method is re-insulating the solder joints.

In short, what is the best (and most reliable) method for making this type of connector?

Tony

Staff member
Just strip the two wires coming from the aileron servos and crimp them into the same female connector. It's tight, but it will work. Then make a male/female extension to connect to the Rx. Or, just run two wires to the Rx so that you have more control on setting up the control surfaces.

bigone5500

That sounds good but I think I want the option to be able to replace one servo or the other. So I think I'll make a Y adapter.

Thanks.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean. You can always unplug any servo and replace it. Having a Y means your mechanical setup will have to be spot on whereas using Aux1 for the other aileron will allow easier setup.

RandyDSok

What Tony is talking about is using two channels on the radio/receiver and then mix them in the radio... it's the recommended setup for things like ailerons, flaps and similar controls

Smoggie

What Tony is talking about is using two channels on the radio/receiver and then mix them in the radio... it's the recommended setup for things like ailerons, flaps and similar controls

+1.. You loose all the advantages of a modern computer Tx if you use a Y lead. By using two individual channels you can adjust end points and differential movement etc from the Tx rather than having to fiddle around with linkage geometry.

As for the best way to make a Y-lead.. I'd just buy one, they cost virtually nothing. The wire and connectors to make a y-lead will cost more than buying one ready made.

Top Bottom