450 main gear wobble

Eggy 71

I'm doing some maintenance on my Trex 450L and came across this. Looking for some opinions from the experts.Is this slight wobble within normal tolerances or will it cause me some grief later on? The main gear spins so close to the torque tube drive shaft. The main shaft is brand new never flown. I've had a crash and slightly bent the previous one. It caused other issues but I think I've traced everything out and solved them all. The gears are just plastic after all so getting them perfectly true would be almost impossible.[video=youtube_share;bD86wGKQzg4]https://youtu.be/bD86wGKQzg4[/video]

trainrider06

Hi Derek, it looks like it smooths out though after power is applied, there is no up and down movement in the shaft is there???
If not you can either take it out and see if you can bend out the warp, but I think thats ok. As long as you don't have any loose things going on, like the gear itself being wallowed out or something like that. I've had brand new gears do that, and just took it off and bent it back into shape though, and they work fine...

Eggy 71

everything is nice and snug. It's just that the main gear doesn't seem to sit true on the main shaft. Whether the one way bearing or the inset collar are seated just slightly off or the main gear hole is off ever so slightly. I don't have another to compare to so just wondering if I should get another main gear / collar / one way bearing or not?

trainrider06

So your saying that the part that screws into the main gear is not nice and flat? If this is the case that could be where it's coming from. I wouldn't replace the one way bearing unless you have some slop in there where the main gear moves around by hand. If its the gear itself then take it off and see if you can straighten it, I've had one before where I was able to.

Top Bottom