500 Main gear ain't right!

Lillyryan

Thinking about it i think the 500 bearing blocks are supposed to have the align writing facing each other (cant remember exactly). Make sure the one way is properly forced together. Also i take it it does have the correct main shaft installed. I know align had an issue with main shafts for this heli.

trainrider06

Here's a couple pix....
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea if it's the correct shaft, I got it in a trade but I'm pretty sure the guy was flying it
before we traded, because it was completely assembled (long story, but we traded 500's
I had a belted model he had the DFC model....)
I did notice his main gear was missing the washer in between the main gear, and tail drive gear, as per manual
So I installed one....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lillyryan

Yes those gears are way to far apart. Could you push one way together tightly and put shims between main gear and bottom bearing block or dors that make it all sit to low?

trainrider06

Yes those gears are way to far apart. Could you push one way together tightly and put shims between main gear and bottom bearing block or dors that make it all sit to low?

If I remove the washer, it'll set closer together, like it is though, I have tried all kinds of different combinations
of shims top, bottom, top and bottom, I'll get close to something working, but then either the gear is up against
the top of the frame, or bottom of frame, or its outta alignment so that bolt won't go through
to secure it. I purchased a screw kit that has all the correct screws washers
and bolts recommended....I suppose I will just have to
get the whole assymbly and if nothing else see why this one I have don't fit or something.
don't know what else to do here.

- - - Updated - - -

If I remove the washer, it'll set closer together, like it is though, I have tried all kinds of different combinations
of shims top, bottom, top and bottom, I'll get close to something working, but then either the gear is up against
the top of the frame, or bottom of frame, or its outta alignment so that bolt won't go through
to secure it. I purchased a screw kit that has all the correct screws washers
and bolts recommended....I suppose I will just have to
get the whole assymbly and if nothing else see why this one I have don't fit or something.
don't know what else to do here.

Lillyryan

Yes it's a tough one. I do have a feeling that the main shaft may be wrong though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trainrider06

How would I be able to tell, the shaft has nothing to do with how far apart and weird these gears
are though....because they sit far apart when I put em together....

murankar

Staff member
Actually it can make a difference. The hike that the Jesus bolt goes through on the main gear may not be in the right place. His to tell, order a set of main shafts and compare. Make sure you order the right ones.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Lillyryan

Just makes me think this was an issue the last chap had with it and that is why it had no washer between gears so that the drive gear would sit lower on the pinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trainrider06

Hmmm? Well I suppose it won't hurt to have some spare shafts Layin around
I just watched this video on YouTube though...and I think I will check this out
on my heli....in it he described how the two gears had separation in em....and
it does seem to explain why all this is fitting weird I think...

Lillyryan

Ok let us know how you get on. Sorry can't be anymore help but it's awkward without seeing it hands on.

If it won't fly put a bigger engine on it!!!

trainrider06

Yeah I will have to keep an eye on it though.... little paranoid about this thing...
So lesson learned, gears looking funny, seem to have too much gap between main, and
tail drive gears....check one way bearing....it should be level!

Top Bottom