450 Main Blade Bolt Tension 450L

Barge

I have been searching for info on how tight should the main blade bolts be on my 450L. Some say loose while others say tight. Is there a method to set them at the right tension?

I think it may have been in Tony's 450 build where the mains were held parallel to the ground then let go and they should drop 90 degrees without wagging to and fro at the bottom. What is the general consensus on the tension of the main blade bolts?

Regards

murankar

Staff member
When held in that fashion they should held straight. When you give it a jerk the blades should drop no more than 45°.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

On my helicopters, I have the main blades pretty darn snug. I guess I think about it as, when I'm spooling up the helicopter, I don't want one blade to lag behind the other and cause an imbalance in the initial rotation. I think an imbalance in the initial rotation could cause a tip over or a boom strike. Also, if I were to get forced into an auto-rotation and I flip the Throttle Hold, again I don't want one blade to lag behind the other due to the drop in power. I might be over thinking this, but that's how I do it.

murankar

Staff member
The blades are going to lead and lag. Just watch the spool up on video. To some degree you want that to happen So the blades can equalize them selves.

If they are to tight the centrifugal force won't extend the blades which will cause vibrations.

In the end as long as the heli flies the way you want it to it should be good. You just don't want to lose and the blades have to be able to move in the grips.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom