General Main Bearing Slop

Wolfman

Ok being new to this, how much slop is acceptable in the main bearings?
I noticed today while leveling the swashplate that there is alot of slop in the bearings. The main shaft mics at 4.97mm and bearings are 5mm, this leaves a good bit of play. I am concerned about main gear to pinion gear clearance, how bad will this affect it, or will it self destruct!!
Thanks Guys
Randy

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, .03mm is about the same as the thickness of a human hair. It's not that much in all reality. As long as you do not have excessive play in the bearing and shaft, you should be fine. There has to be a clearance for the shaft to fit in there and to work correctly.

Wolfman

The part of it that concerns me is the distance that the main gear moves in relation to the motor pinion. It doesn't look like much when looking at the bearing and shaft, but when watching the distance the gear moves it concerned me. If I could get a video of it, it would probably help. I guess with this being a clone I am being a little over cautious.

Thanks
Randy

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, you can NEVER be overly cautious with a clone. These thing will hurt you in a second. Almost losing an eye is the reason I will NEVER condone or suggest someone purchase a clone. the quality is just not there and something is going to come apart. With that said, I will help anyone with anything.

If you are worried about the play, order some new bearing blocks and main shaft, as well as a new main gear while you are there, and make sure they are quality Align products. Should be about $30 or so but it will lock that main shaft in place like all of the other Align helis.

Wolfman

Ok Tony how does Tarot parts stack up? I know they are not Align, but a little easier on the wallet. I was thinking the bearing block that is connected, I have already replaced the head and mainshaft and main gear assembly, after my dumb stunt. That has me looking a little closer at the parts, Some things I can swing in the Align and some are out my price range, just starting in it.
Thanks

Randy

Tony

Staff member
Tarot is okay, but as you stated, they are not Align. The quality control is not as high as they are on Align parts. And the main bearing blocks are a one time purchase. Once you have them, you will never have to buy them again. But to be 100% honest, I highly doubt that the .03mm will be any issue with teh heli. As long as the bearings are spinning free, you should be fine.

Lee

I had the one piece bearing block from Tarot. Very nice piece. I've had many Tarot parts and all have been top quality.

Personaly i think that is to much play. if there is that much play the heli will wobble and as you are trying to get in the air. the heli will tilt to one side.The thing that i'd do is check your center hub and see if there is ANY damage.You do want a LITTLE play there for the down force that happens while flying. something else to check is the bearings, shims, spacers etc etc that are in the feathering shaft area.If you have lost one of those it will efect the whole heli proformance

Wolfman

Guys I appreciate everything you are telling me, and I am not in a hurry to get it flying, to busy trying to keep the house warm with firewood right now. I will try to get a video of the movement I have, I have mic'd everything and I can't figure anything other than cheap bearings and housings. Nitro brung up shims, it looks to me like it should have a shim between the maingear spacer and lower bearing, but I can't find anything on one.

Thanks Guys

Randy

Westy

LEGEND
to get your pinion clearance spot on ..... move your gear all the way around in one revolution and see where the least amount of play is..... then cut a piece of paper and feed it into this area (wind the gear back a bit and then feed the paper in as you turn it.

Loosen off your 2 screws securing the motor to the sliding mount plate and push it hard to the paper. then do both screws up. turn to remove paper and recheck all the way around.

then once you are happy you have got it right. REmove one screw, dap a bit of threadlock on it (wipe off the excess with your finger so only the threads are filled and no thread lock is not bulging out) and re-tighten. repeat for the second screw and Viola JOB DONE!

yes there is usually a spacer in between the main gear and auto gear where the OWB sits.

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I dint know if someone already mentioned that. . I saw that too in my 450 on a set of new main bearings.

Till u are a smack pilot, you aren't gonna see a difference. But for in some cases it might cause a little issue... Bigger birds tend to strip gears if mesh goes too far out and so on and so forth but again not till you smack a little

I would suggest using bearing seating compound in the bearing slot before you seat it. If I am not wrong it's green loctite. It's extremely strong, and only needs a wick of it anywhere nothing more. Or that bearing will get jammed and won't come until out till you actually have a blow torch. So use that.. That's what's is used to seat pinions too ok high torque motors. So do that and there wont be any slop. Remember ... A little wick only .... Don't use the bottle as the thing is thin like thin ca and flows...

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Wolfman

Thanks guys for your input, and Westy yes there is the spacer between the main gear and bearing I was just thinking it had a good bit of room.
Gaba I had not thought about using loctite to tighten up the bearing gap thanks. I believe I am going to get a new pair of bearings and maybe a new align mainshaft, just to be safe and for peace of mind. I did figure out how to post a pic but haven't had any luck getting a video to upload yet.

Thanks Guys

Randy

Top Bottom