General Low wing RC Plane for Beginner

Good morning Guys,

Happy Monday! I believe that I have become skilled in flying high wing trainer planes :party: and thinking of building a foamy low wing plane to speed up in the air! Any suggestion, guys? I am thinking of converting the RCH Trainer to be low wing by adding the wing below the fuselage instead of above, what do you think? :eagerness::eagerness:

Regards,
Moe

sarconastic

Low wing aircraft are usually built with the wing much farther forward, so not sure how it would fly. It will probably fly but not be as quick/responsive as a regular low wing design. Not sure how different the center of gravity is though.

Woody

Sorry, I'm not a builder - I only buy ARF. However, I flew a foamy Trojan P-38 (I think that's the number). It's just a model of a past military trainer. Comes with the motor and ESC, all you have to do is get a 2200 mah battery, hook up a few things and you're flying!

It is docile and I practiced landings with it constantly until I moved up to balsa and light ply warplanes from Hangar9 (the Pulse is also a very easy plane to fly but it is more expensive and would take a lot longer to get into the air - i used a EFlite Power46 electric motor and it flew very nicely - I am currently putting in a Power60 to increase the speed). As for the Trojan, you can just grease it in on a calm day. At the same time, rolls are easy to perform and you can do enough aerobatics to keep you happy for awhile - one guy I saw used to fly his about a foot off the runway upside down, wide open - an extremely easy to fly airplane I think you'd be happy with. I even cut a runway in my front pasture and flew it here at the house. It is made by ParkZone and you should be able to find one easily on any major RC sales website.

I highly recommend it. :)

Best,

RP

RandyDSok

It is docile and I practiced landings with it constantly until I moved up to balsa and light ply warplanes from Hangar9 (the Pulse is also a very easy plane to fly but it is more expensive and would take a lot longer to get into the air - i used a EFlite Power46 electric motor and it flew very nicely - I am currently putting in a Power60 to increase the speed). ...
Best,

RP

Ok... since this will be good motor info even for a foamy ( even though they'll use different motors )... I'll post this here for ZiklagPhilistine...

Increasing the motor size ( and weight ) will not make your plane faster. To do that, you either increase the pitch of the prop or the number of cells used in your batteries. If you do increase either, you must make certain that you aren't reaching the amp limits of the motor and ESC that you are using.

Now for why...

First the increase in weight of the motor is a big negative which will make your model more nose heavy and that will cause you to add more weight in the tail to offset it. The Power 46 weighs 290 grams, the Power 60 ( which will also require a larger heavier ESC to support it ) weighs in at 380 grams... that's an increase of 90 grams or 3 ounces. Next add the weight difference that a different ESC will have and the tail weight you'll need to offset with and you end up with a heavier wing loading that will affect the performance and stability of the airframe.

The next part, and possibly more important one... The Power 46 has a 670kv rating per volt... the Power 60 has a 400kv per volt. Using the same voltage batteries... the Power 60 will spin 2/3rd's slower than the Power 46 making the plane actually fly slower with the same voltage battery packs. The Power 60 would pull a heavier load and allow a larger diameter prop... but what it gains in torque it looses in speed.

If you can't or don't want to increase your prop pitch and/or battery voltage.... Eflight motors are tough but they are inefficient and heavy for their class. Depending on how much your model weighs... I'd go for either a Motrolfly DM2820 series or DM2825 series motor. Hacker also makes some really nice motors but I don't recall one ( may have changed ) that matches the Motrofly specs and/or the Power 46 specs... I think they've got one just a class up from what you need.

Top Bottom