Batteries Low voltage

wolfman76

My blue lipo 3s 2200mah pack keeps saying low voltage when I check the screen that shows the voltages as they charge only shows one charging while the other 2 not charging and reading I think 3.86 per cell.. is this pack dead or is the there a way to bring it back from the dead?

stokke

If all the three cells show 3.86v there shouldn't be a problem?

I have had some trouble with my balance leads from time to time. If a balance lead has a poor connection the charger will sound an alert and show a voltage alarm - when this happens I just wiggle the balance leads and I can see the charger reading the correct voltage again, then resume the charge.

My 5 cents

wolfman76

I was wrong the voltage on the 2 cells is 3.84 and 4.20 on the 3rd should I drain that cell somehow then do the nimh boost I have seen in another thread? How can I get the voltage down on just the cell that is 4.20 I did the nimh boost just now for the 2 cells and it worked letting me put it on charge but once the 1 cell said 4.20 again it said full charge and shut off. Should I be able to to drain that cell through the balance plug? Using a meter to detect which wire leads to the high cell then discharge through that lead?

murankar

Staff member
3.8 is a good voltage. I would be concerned about the one cell being 4.2. I would do a storage charge to drop that one cell or use a cell checker with balancer to balance out the back better then storage charge. Either way that one cell need to be dropped closer to 3.8.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

wolfman76

I am getting low voltage warning on the charger cuz 2 cells are 3.4 and 3rd cell is 4.20 is it possible to reduce the voltage on the high cell through the balance port wire for that cell?

murankar

Staff member
In your last post you said 2 cells were at 3.84, so which is it 3.4 or 3.84?

If you plug the pack into the balance board they should start to equalize. If not then an external balancer should work. The goal is to shift the power from the high cell to the 2 lower cells.

Have you metered the cells with a multi meter? Its odd that 2 cells dropped that low and that far out of balance. Once you put a multi meter to the balance Leads you know if the balance wires are good. It is possible that you may have a faulty connection.

Is you balance board still good?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:

wolfman76

Yes it is I finally got the voltage to equal out using storage charge then tried a balance charge and it was back at low voltage again so my guess is is the pack is dead.. so I am draining it then disposal time it is an old pack anyways one of my first bout 3 years old

RMB677

I have a similar condition with one of my LiPo's, I get a high voltage alarm for one cell when charging. I've been correcting it by balancing and then finishing off the charge. I'm going to retire the battery, just ordered 2 replacements, there's a 2nd one also starting to act up.

Tony

Staff member
Check out the balance wires. Sounds like one or two could be broke. Also check the traces on the board in the charger. If all of that checks out, then you have a bad battery.

wolfman76

She be a dead battery is one of my first it is bout 3 years old suprised it has lasted this long it has survived dozens of crashes between my old 450 and the spider quad is a blue lipo no wonder they always out of stock pretty durable IMO

Last edited:

RMB677

I'm pretty sure its the battery starting to go, its pretty old, and when I check voltage after use 1 cell is much lower than the other two. I use a separate meter to check voltages after flying.

wolfman76

thanks alot everyone been in the hobby for awhile but still learning... just need a good job so i can afford better quality equipment and parts and plus i want a 700 size name brand heli kit looking at logo 700 extreme kit agile 7.2 gaui x7 goblin 770 choices choices choices but first the money... lol

Top Bottom