Micro Low profile skids

I bought some links low-profile skids it actually raises the tip of the tail another 5 to 7 cm above the ground so it is at an angle on take off. Does anybody have a clever method of leveling the swash to the ground so you can have a straight up and down in the show take off

Smoggie

You dont level the swash to the ground, the swash must be 'levelled' to be perpendicular to the main shaft... No other datum matters except the main shaft. This is why swash levelling tools fit on the main shaft.

Having the swash level to the ground but tilted back relative to the main shaft would be disastrous, the heli would drift (or even hurtle) backwards. With tilted skids there may be a tiny bit of forward drift upon initial liftoff but you just correct for this in the same way as you correct for the natural sideways drift. The only way to totally avoid the slight foward drift on takeoff is to use level skids, but to be honest even with tilted skids like used on Goblin Speed helis and newer Aligns the drift is hardly noticable.

Thank you for your explanation it gave me a complete Visual and I realized what a ridiculous question that was however it has helped me to think of the mechanics of the helicopter in a positive way

Tony

Staff member
Not a ridiculous question at all Ronald. Those that have never had a helicopter sit at an angle like this are a little worried when they see the stance. The important thing here is you asked, and now you know. Let us know how you like the new skids.

Smoggie

Like Tony said, not a ridiculous question at all. In fact lots of folk seem to worry about exactly the same issue on helis that have a nose down tilt. The other thing that often causes confusion with tilted skids is the need to make the heli 'level' during FBL initiation (you dont need to).

Tony

Staff member
That is exactly right on what Steve just posted. The gyro just needs to be stationary, not level. The only time it has to be level, say on the Ikon with Self Level, is when you click that button to set level. From there, you just set it down and plug it in.

Top Bottom