Trucks Losi 3.4 starting issues

losi12

I have a Losi Ten-T that has been sitting on the shelf for about a year...and i cannot get the engine to start! The glow plug is in great shape and the carb pulls fuel from the tank but its like the fuel is not getting into the cylinder. I have even replaced the carb with a brand new one. I set the LSN and HSN to the factory settings as well as tried to set the carb to run very lean and very rich. I can turn the motor over for a few minutes and when I pull the head off there is no fuel on the top of the piston anywhere and no flooding. I am at a loss does anyone have any ideas?? I am to the point now where I am ready to order a new motor. I have noticed a bit of fuel leaking from the flywheel as well.

Tony

Staff member
Take the engine apart and make sure the hole from the side of the crank to the back of the crank is open. Also make sure the ports are lined up from the sleeve and the case. And even though your glow plug is glowing, it may still be bad (I have had many do this) so replace it first thing when you are having any kind of starting issues.

How is the compression? If you don't have any compression, then there is no way for the engine to pull in fuel or ignite it.

losi12

I will take it apart and check the crank tonight. Compression is great, pulls fuel like a champ just nothing into the motor. I have replaced the glow plug so I hope that isn't the issue. Thanks for the feedback!

Tony

Staff member
Every now and then, these things have you scratching your head for a while. If it's pulling in fuel, but it's not getting into the combustion chamber, then there has to be a blockage somewhere. Try putting about 5-7 drops of fuel directly down the carb, and 2 drops in the cyl (by removing glow plug, then reinstalling it) and see if it will start that way. Might just need to be primed. But I'm just grasping at straws here.

Top Bottom