Quad Looking to buy and 250 FPV Quad

USAF_Ret

I am interested in buying a 250 class / FPV quadcopter and welcome any insight into taking the plunge. I have done some research and might have more questions still than answers.

The model that I am initially contemplating is the Vortex 250 Pro. My rationale is that it appears mostly ready to fly and only needs a FPV display or goggles to truly get the FPV mode.

I am not sure I am ready for a DIY project as there seem to be multiple challenges in getting all of the different electronic components working together. This may not be true, but that's my perception from my research.

What is discouraging is, that I took the drive to my LHS ( 35 miles) who have the Vortex 250 in stock and a couple of different options for googles, but they were unwilling / unable show me how a 'FPV connected system' would look from the FPV view point. That seems a bit outrageous to me considering that the bill to get into this would be close to $1000 (quadcopter, FPV googles, and at least a couple of batteries).

I want the OSD features as part of the deal and I have found that there are several of those as options as well depending on what you actually want displayed.

So here is my ask...

1. Is the Vortex 250 a reasonable entry quadcopter?

2. Are there better entry level quadcopters that I should consider?

3. What FPV googles would work best?

4. What setups (quadcopter, electronics, googles, etc.) are folks using or would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input.

USAF_Ret

Tony

Staff member
Are you sure you want to start with a $500 quad? Are you sure your even going to like them? If you don't like them or you only like flying LOS, then you are out a grand and you are going to take a huge cut if you sell it.

That quad is running cleanflight which you can get for about $40. You can get that frame with cleanflight controller, motors and ESC's for about a bill to a bill twenty. Add $40 for the camera and $50 for the VTX. So for less than $220, you can have what they are selling for $500. And IMO, you will have a better camera and a more powerful VTX with a lighter frame.

As for goggles, you can go with the ones that I just unboxed on video (quantum v2 pro) or you can go Skyzone or Fatshark and spend some real money, but might not like them.

There are a lot of options out there, but first we need to determine if you really want to spend a grand to get started, or if you want to spend $300 to make sure you like it and if you don't, you can get more of a percentage back of your investment. I have a cheap 250 quad and it's just as good as the others for the type of flying that I do.

Stambo

I have to disagree with a couple of Tony's points here.
Sure the Vortex is a bit expensive, but looking around at the alternatives, it is about the best RTF 250 out there.
It is made by ImmersionRC who, in my opinion make the best video transmitters and receivers available, which are used by many top pilots.
The camera is said by many to be a let down but can be replaced for around $30
If you have the ability and the inclination you can certainly build better, cheaper but the question was about RTF.

**Cleanflight is open source software, if you have to pay for it you are being ripped off.**

There are many different styles and quality of goggles out there, if you can, try before you buy.
The goggles that Tony reviewed are good value for money, some people like them and some don't.

The biggest question is have you flown RC at all and do you have any equipment?
If not, I would suggest starting with a cheap toy first rather than risk crashing a more expensive one.
Tony has reviewed a few on here and I am sure he could point you in the right direction.
Whatever you decide, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Flying a quad in excess of 60kmh about half a metre off the ground sure is a thrill.
I call it the safest adrenaline sport on the planet.:)

USAF_Ret

Stambo,

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding flying RC... I fly RC heli's and fixed wing. The biggest heli I have is the 550L. I don't do hard 3D but fly pretty aggressive sport flying. I don't crash much. In fact I haven't crashed the 550L yet with one exception where one of the umbrella gears completely stripped and the whole thing started piro'ing....

I haven't done FPV yet, so that is still an unknown....

I have contacted a local quad racing group and they are going to invite me to one of their monthly build nights. I am still leaning to a ARF and then perhaps a kit later once I learn some of the equipment options.

Thanks again.

USAF_Ret

Tony

Staff member
I completely agree with Stambo, that quad is great and is packed full of features, and yes, ImmersionRC is at the top when it comes to FPV. I just want USAF to try before sinking in a lot of money.

As for Cleanflight, yes, it's open source, I was referring to the board purchase (if you were wondering why I said $30 for cleanflight).

Can't wait for you to go to this event and get some hands on experience with these. You are going ot love it.

Stambo

If you can fly a heli you can fly a quad, helis are what I started with.
They now just sit on a shelf as ornaments, these little 250s are a lot cheaper to crash. :)
I even have spare FPV goggles and quad with a buddy box TX so I can let new FPVers have a go.

That build night will show you that building a quad is no big deal, all you need to be able to do is solder, everything else is pretty easy.
There are heaps of videos on YouTube about setting up the various systems and we are here if you get stuck or have any questions.
No matter how basic it may seem, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Getting to try some goggles would be a bonus.
A good way to familiarise yourself with FPV goggles or screen, although I believe screen is harder, is to stick a camera and transmitter on an RC car or truck.
Even a real cheap one just so you get the FPV experience without any risk to equipment.

What ever you decide, ARF or kit from scratch, we are here to help, good luck. :)

Top Bottom