Batteries Looking for new batteries

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey all, pretty soon I'll be in the market for new batteries. Right now I'm running Eco power 2200mah/11.1 30C and I saw someone flying a Trex 450 and had a Pulse 2250mah/11.1 65C running their heli. I'm interested in the Pulse battery but what's the difference between 30C and 65C? My electronics consist of DX6i/AR7200BX/CC talon 35a on a Tarot 450 pro/DFC if that helps any. Any information will be helpful and Thanks!

Derek

I don't know anything about Pulse batteries except that people use them because they are good and resilient batteries. They are also quite expensive. I've started to buy the Glacier batteries from buddyrc and so far I really like them.

cml001

The 65c is a higher discharge rate... Paul & others can chime in on the tech end of it as those guys are much more knowledgeable than I.. However.. IMO.. Pulse packs are the cats meow.. LOVE them. In the 450 tho a 45c pack is more than enough.. That's what I run on my 450... Plenty of pep, >5min flight time.. I've got 6 of them pushing 2yrs old... No puffing, no loss... Battery of choice for sure.

murankar

Staff member
Pulse packs are no more than gens ace. Well not much more. I have 4 packs in deep freeze right now. Pulse does not solder ends on there packs. They are stripped and prepped but that's it.

I do like the packs although I don't have a lot of flights on them. Would I suggest them, yes. I have the 30c 2250 mah 3S packs.

Don't get to hung up on the c rating. As a 3d pilot you won't come near the rating and the rating is factious anyways.

A 30 C pack will be more than enough power for a 450 class heli. These packs (if they are true 30c) will put out almost 75 amps of power. My scorpion 3s motor can only take 45 amps continuous. My ESC is 50 amps and can take spikes higher than that. So really to buy anything bigger than 30C is a waist of money. If you want to waist money go and get a set of opti power packs (these are supposed to be awesome packs) or get the batteries at progressive rc . those packs have a true c rating, supposedly.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:

Lee

The C rating on packs are very random, and according the the battery nerds out there :D are very misleading.
On the RCHN podcast they did a test and most packs came out to be a real C rating of around 25C to 32C no matter what it says on the pack.
Top of the stack for accuracy on C rating was Spyder packs from ProgressiveRC.
Unless you are doing extreme 3D or Speed runs, "most" packs will be fine.

Graham Lawrie

As usual depends on your pocket $$$ how much you have to spend:) I have always used low end batteries and never had an issue with any, purely due to a financial point of view.

murankar

Staff member
That c rating thing has had a lot of talk on rchn. Justin has been in search of high quality packs for speed. Nick on the other hand just settles for a consistent pack for 3D.

In the end it boils down to what is going to work for you. From what I have seen and heard about pulse they fit my need. I was a gens ace guy for 2 + years and swore by them. I guess recently their quality went down.

Just get what you feel is affordable and meets your need. If a zippy pack does that then great, if not do more research.

Who knows maybe in few months pulse packs can suffer a quality issue.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks guys, $$$ is important and the information Mr Lee and Murankar has given me makes me want to stay with the batteries i have. By no means i'm not a 3D flyer so the batteries i have been working well so i'll stick to them. Thanks everyone.

murankar

Staff member
Good luck in your quest. Its hard to find great gear in this hobby. Greatness is subjective. Go with what feels good to you not just in flight packs but with everything. In the end its about having fun within your financial constraints.

Derek

Good luck in your quest. Its hard to find great gear in this hobby. Greatness is subjective. Go with what feels good to you not just in flight packs but with everything. In the end its about having fun within your financial constraints.

That was well put!!! Very very true!!!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That was well prepared statement. I'm finally having fun with my heli once real electronics have been installed. I wasn't doing well with generic electronics going wrong most of the time. Now the heli flies good, i feel good flying the heli and all together I'm having a great time learning to fly. With all the help from the RC HELP gang, it's great being in the air then being on the ground.

murankar

Staff member
That's just his I feel. I am not in a great spot to enjoy my hobby right now. When I am able to get what I need to fly, I will be enjoying it very much. I have learned to set aside the fact that my equipment is not the greatest.

Grab all the opinions you can and sort out what does not make sense. Just keep in mind a lot of folks here and elsewhere for that matter, have the products they are sold on. So when people give suggestions they are giving what they feel works.

I can't believe how subjective thus hobby is. Now I am just ranting. Anyhow get out there and fly.

pvolcko

I've used turnigy (normal and nanotech), pulse, Glacier and EcoPower. Nanotech are the only ones I'd recommend against. I've had a few fail after a winter of storage. Normal turnigy blue pack are fine for low demand uses. I'm still putting flights on the others but so far so good. Pulse 45c are plenty. You can spring for the 65c but the rating is bull and you'd have to be cranking pretty hard to need that theoretical extra discharge capability. Glacier are my budget battery of choice at the moment, but EcoPower may dethrone them. Need more flights to see.

sarconastic

Pulse does not solder ends on there packs. They are stripped and prepped but that's it.

I just received a new pulse pack and they were listed with ends on all of them. I got mine with XT60's pre installed. maybe they changed that now. Looking forward to trying out now.

Woody

murankar

Staff member
When I got mine in march they were unfinished. I also got mine through Helidirect.

murankar

Staff member
Its possible they may have finished them for their customers.

Top Bottom