Chargers Looking For A New Charger

Tony

Staff member
What's up everyone. Back in 2019, I sold my beloved iCharger 306b due to some hard times, but find myself needing a new charger, so I'm looking for recommendations from everyone.

I don't really have a budget at this point, as I'm just looking to see what everyone is using.

Post up what you would suggest I purchase. As most already know, I have 1000w of power to supply the charging setup, but can always add more power if needed. I highly doubt I would need anything more than that, but you know how that goes.

So post up what you think I should purchase to replace the iCharger 306b. All suggestions welcome!

Geena

Staff member
I use a power Lab PL8X2 and it has been a great charger for many years now. The newer power Labs have bump charging technology, that records and monitors your battery usage and the stats of the battery. Having said that... You can never go wrong with icharger either, and the 306B is still a good charger. So why not get another one? Unless of course you are just looking for something different.

The 4010 Duo is still a pretty hot item too. Or maybe the 308 DUO or 406DUO. I think I would stay away from Graupner though, or at least do some research on them. I have several friends, who have had nothing but problems with them.

Tony

Staff member
I have been looking at the PL line just for the bump tech. So nice to just scan, plug and charge. But wanted to see if there was anything else out there that is new that people are liking. I'm trying to get back into the hobby, and need some new toys to fire me up hahaha.

Geena

Staff member
The ISDT chargers are supposed to be pretty good too. I have never used one myself, but I have only heard good things about them. They are smaller than an average charger, so they are perfect for putting together a compact charging case if weight and space are an issue.

Tony

Staff member
Interesting. I have seen the ISDT chargers, but never really looked at them, because they seemed to be just another chinese special. I did find one that can do 1000w for about $190 which is a little steep for 1000w, but it does have some other features that may make up for that cost. Will be looking into these as well, thank you.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I have done some searching today, and there is one charger that is standing out to me. I really like the bump charger idea, however the cost of having that is pretty high. Definitely a niche deal that is very nice to have, but to keep the wife happy, I'm thinking I need to stay away from that line of chargers... for now... lol

The one that is standing out to me is the iCharger S6. It's a tiny little charger, does 6s batteries and has a limit of 40 amps and 1100 watts. This is more than my 306b that I had that was 30 amp 1000 watts. So a little overhead there with the little S6.

In reading some reviews, the little scroll wheel, although better on the S6 vs the X6, does look to be a bit of a pain (I would rather have a 360º knob or wheel with a separate button). But, from what I'm reading, it does look to be the best bang for the buck charger out there at this time.

Here is the question, what company should I order from if I decide on the S6? I have done business with Progressive RC and Buddy RC both and they have great products and great support. So I'm kind of torn on who to purchase from when the time comes.

But man do I wish I had the PL Bump....

Geena

Staff member
I love Progressive. I bought all of the components I used to build my charging case from them. Everything except the case itself, and the power supplies. You might also check out Amain Hobbies and helidirect. Both of them are outstanding to deal with.

Tony

Staff member
So with your suggestion, I looked at other companies, and it just so happens, AMain is having a little sale right now. :scratchchin:

Tony

Staff member
Charger is ordered. I couldn't pass up the deal on that little iCharger S6. I have included a link below to the item I purchased in case anyone is in the market for a new, high powered charger. Please note, you will need a power supply for this charger.

I know it is going to be asked why I chose this charger over the others. Well, the price had a lot to do with it. And with that $12.50 off, it made it an even better deal. The X6 can charge up to a 6s lipo and has a current capacity of 40 amps or 1100 watts. This is more powerful than my 306b that I had previously from iCharger, and it's smaller and cheaper! Now of course, the S6 is in a plastic case, but lets face it, everything is in a plastic case now lol

Why I didn't chose the other chargers that were suggested.

I have been using iCharger for years until I sold mine a couple years back. It worked flawlessly on small packs, or in balance and fully maxed out, making my power supplies scream because it kicked the fans on. It just worked. However, I never did really like the LCD display of the 306b, but it was the norm when I purchased it.

As for the PowerLabs chargers, I just couldn't justify the cost of them. You would have to purchase say the PL6 for $170 I think it was, and if you wanted the Bump capabilities, you would spend another $150, and those little tags are not cheap. Almost a dollar a piece. There are combined units now, but those are over $400, and to charge a battery, just not worth it IMO for what I do (or did do, or will do... you know lol). Most of what I will likely fly are micros, and the bump tags do not fit micro batteries.

As for ISDT, I did look at them but didn't really get the feeling they were on the same level as iCharger or PL. I have heard good things about them, but I really wanted to go with something that I knew friends were running, and I have not heard of anyone on here running the ISDT chargers.

So I purchased the iCharger S6. Now, I need to find where I put my charging case, and start planning out how to modify the case to accept this little guy. And yes, a full review will likely be on the way. I would type more about my initial thoughts now, but I have do go do that thing that allows me to actually purchase these items... work....

Geena

Staff member
I was just throwing those out as options. There are probably hundreds of great chargers on the market right now, and you probably won`t go wrong with most of them. But at the end of the day, when the dust settles... You are the one who will be using it. So it always comes down to what you want, need, and expect from a charger.

I think you made a fantastic choice, and I can`t wait to hear your thoughts on it. :)

Tony

Staff member
I really wanted a PL though! Man I wanted that bump tech just to make things easier. Maybe someday! lol. But I believe I will like the little S6. The only issue I have heard with this charger (actually it was the X6), was the fan stopped working. Simple fix though.

Geena, thank you for pointing out what you did. It definitely had me searching for a couple days before finding that sale at Amain, which you also mentioned and I likely would have over looked lol.

Tony

Staff member
Now the question is, should I do a video on this charger and the upcoming build, or just do an article on it... Hm....

Top Bottom