DIY Looking For A Bit Of Clarification On Spektrum Receiver

Axeman

Hey Folks,

First time poster...just up front I have been doing a TON of reading and trying to digest all the information and nuances of this stuff. I've got my Quad assembled with the exception of my radio receiver. I have a Spektrum DS6 and I had the A400 for my planes that use servo's but since the RacerStar F4 uses a serial based receiver, they aren't compatible.

I'm a bit confused now which Spektrum receiver I can use without any additional hardware.

Is the SPM4648 DSMX using SBus sufficient to couple with the RacerStar F4? Do I need to worry about going UART instead? The flying season is coming to a close soon (gets cold up here) so I don't want to order the wrong part and have to wait several weeks to make up for the error :p

Is the SPM4649T worth the extra do-dads or are they just extra bells and whistles really?

Thanks in advance and I hope this hasn't been exactly posted, I searched for an answer already (specific to the F4 and Spektrum that is).

Tony

Staff member
The SPM4648 is just a satellite receiver, and it is what I use to control pretty much all of my quads. You will connect it up to one of the UART ports on the flight controller and then you will go into the flight controller and tell it which port you have the serial receiver on in the config tab (I think, been a bit lol) then you will go into the receiver tab (again, I think) and set it to Spektrum Sat. With that being a newer satellite, You may get away with 2048 but I have to use 1024 on all of mine. You will see what I mean when you get into the menu. I will try to find a video to help show you a little better.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, here is a video where I program a satellite receiver on a quad that I have. I think I got every bit of info wrong up there lol. sorry about that. But in the video, I walk you through setting up the satellite receiver. And if you find a cheaper one that is compatible with your Tx (I think you meant DX6 and not DS6, correct?) then you can get those as well, but that one you mentioned at $25 is pretty cheap. Not sure what it is going to be north of the border though. Hope this helps.

Video should start at 3:50

Axeman

Oh man Tony, thank you so much for that. That is a super big help. I'll let you know how it pans out :)

Top Bottom