Tri Locating CG on tri copter

Derek

For the longest time, I've wanted a quad copter. However, as I thought about it more and more, I don't want a quad..I want a tri copter. I just like the way they look. So, I'm shopping for parts and pieces. Gonna build my own.

How do you go about locating the CG on a tricopter?

EyeStation

I would have to think you are looking for balance at the center of the craft, Tri or Quad. So maybe as simple as marking the exact center, put a little countersink dimple in the frame and balancing it on a nail. Kinda like they do for On-Road RC Chassis. But with the car, it is a 2 point balance. A nail located at the front and rear.
hud107880.jpg
107880-2.jpg
Or, go for the digital postage scale under each arm.

hud107880.jpg

107880-2.jpg

Derek

I was thinking along that same path but I wanted to ask so that I was certain. Thanks buddy!

Karubah

Your centre of gravity will be at the junction of your arms. The front arms are set at 120 degrees from the rear arm. Don't worry too much about it just try and get your battery as close to it as you can and everything else will be close anyway. They are very forgiving.

Lee

On my first DIY Tricopter build, one arm slipped and moved about 45º from its original place.
It still flew perfectly :D
Find the centre point between the motors Derek. Thats your balance point, and the position of your FC board.

Lee

On my first DIY Tricopter build, one arm slipped and moved about 45º from its original place.
It still flew perfectly :D
Find the centre point between the motors Derek. Thats your balance point, and the position of your FC board.

Top Bottom