1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Hey Guest, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Batteries Lipo Fire Vs Drywall/sheet Rock

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Derek, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek RC Help Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If lipo battery we charging on a sheet of drywall and then caught fire, how much damage would the drywall endure?

Ive been seeing more and more lipo battery accidents and its truly got me thinking about rethinking how i store and charge my lipo's. I going to build a lipo storage/ charging cabinet, complete with smoke alarm.

In fact, as im writing this post, im thinking about using cement board instead of drywall.

What kinds of thought do you all have?

2. D.O.G.

D.O.G. Well-Known Member Goblin 380 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Disable
    Cement board is a wonderful thing but heavy as hell. The drywall will work as a fire retardant. It will slow it down some but it will eventually still catch on fire. My ammo box with the inside walls lined with lipo bags worked fine for me when my little incident happen. The incident did make me more alert now. A fire extinguisher is also a nice to have near by too. I got one now Lol.

3. Derek

Derek RC Help Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I do have a fire extinguisher but its not going to put out a burning lipo pack. I have several bags of sand on hand

4. D.O.G.

D.O.G. Well-Known Member Goblin 380 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Disable
  5. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    The best option I have heard here on this site was someone across the pond (horrible memory) who keeps his batteries in a metal ammo case under a rack (metal rack, large gaps) with a plastic tub of sand above it. If for some reason a lipo did catch on fire, and ate through the ammo case, it would melt the plastic bottom of the sand pouring the sand exactly where it needs to go to help out out the fire. No electronics, just fantastic thinking. Wish I could remember who posted it.

6. Admiral

Admiral I Support Rc-Help! Rc-Help Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Information Technology (Retired)
    Hi Tony Lee mentioned it back in 2014, he had seen it on Flitetest.

7. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    I was actually thinking it may have been you Keith lmao.

8. Admiral

Admiral I Support Rc-Help! Rc-Help Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Information Technology (Retired)
    No not me, I charge mine on a steel boiler makers bench with a fire extinguisher beside it, I just need to train myself not to leave heaps of crap on the bench that could burn if one went up.

9. Derek

Derek RC Help Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ive bought some cement board and some 2x4's. The 2x4's for the framework and the cement board for the inside. Ive got some of the framework built and some cement board cut. Its not pretty right now but I'll share some pics, if anyone is interested in seeing what im doing. I dont have any plans for this....its just a rough picture in my head but i do think the end result will be a very fire resisant cabinet on casters.

10. tntpoof

tntpoof Member

Blog Posts:
    this is what I use to charge my batteries in ..as you see it has fireproof cloth from a foundry a smoke alarm and locks.. there is a slot in the side where cable or wires from charger go.. I store my lipos in a cinder block with a patio block ontop and bottom.. I also have a few hailon fire extinguishers in my house and with me when I charge..just about the only fire extinguisher that can put out a lipo fire

Attached Files:

11. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Soldier
    If you want something that less flamible then get the plumbing soldering blankets. They are made for soldering copper that is still in the walls. I don't think they will last more than 1 fire though. While they are retardant they will still bun if it gets hot enough.

Just use and ammo can. It's metal and can be sealed are tight. No chance of fire if air can't hit it.

Or you could use an arduino fire detector system.

12. tntpoof

tntpoof Member

Blog Posts:
    lipo fire dont need O2 they are self sustaining.... LOL at a lipo fire needing Oxygen.. and if you use a ammo can remove top rubber seal and drill a vent hole or its a BOMB

13. Derek

Derek RC Help Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a steel tool box for battery charging. But, ive wanted something that i can safely store my batteries in that would help protect my garage.

Ive bought some cement board and some steel. Ive welded a cabinet-type frame and then secured the cement board to the steel frame. I welded some frame work for shelves and added more cement board. I added some steel casters to the bottom, so it can be rolled out of the garage, if needed. I have a 1/8 steel plate secured to one side to serve as a door. I added a smoke alarm.

I think ive built something that will serve its purpose, if the situation demands it. Hopefully not!

14. tntpoof

tntpoof Member

Blog Posts:
    nice derek.i just used a old Frigidaire frig from 1940

15. Derek

Derek RC Help Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I did consider that. But, I decided to build my own because (1), I like building things, (2) I needed this Safe Cabinet to fit a particular spot in my garage.

16. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Soldier
    I work with that stuff, hardy board to be exact. Stuff cuts with a special tool that resembles a Plexiglas cutter. It's a heavy material to work with. You will need to frame the box then attach the hardy board. One thing to remember is that the board is not 1 hour fire rated. It won't burn from open flame or contribute as fuel to a fire. Lastly it does how ever transfer heat. So just something to think about.

If you want to increase the flame protection the add ceramic tile to it. You could use mastic but that stuff burns, so using a thin set would be ideal.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017