Batteries Lipo Battery charge, discharge, and storage

Derek

I didn't see a specific "battery" thread location, so I hope this is ok to post this question here.

Ive read that I shouldn't store my lipo's with more than 50-60% charge and no less than 40-50% charge. Is this true?

Also...I've had this happen a few times. I get my lipo's charged up and ready use, I head to the flying field and get either my heli or plane in the air and my phone rings...it's my wife and she needs me for something. So, because she is more important to me than my flying time, I pack things up and head home after only using a lipo for a short amount of time. Should I then discharge the batteries down to 50-60% if i'm going to store them and not fly anymore that day or would they be ok? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks guys!

Tony

Staff member
Actually there is a battery section for helicopters, however it's in a sub category. You can find it by clicking Forum > Rc Vehicles > Helicopters > Batteries. I went ahead and moved the thread into that location. Thanks for looking though, most will just post it in the lounge or Articles section lol.

As for your question, If you are not going to fly for a week, then I would discharge your batteries to 3.8 volts per cell (VPC). However, if you are just going home for the day as you explain, you can just recharge them and go again.

Unlike NiCd or NiMh, the LiPo batteries do not hold a memory nor do they build one. You don't need to run a LiPo through cycles to get the most power out of them, and they do not like being discharged over 80%.

So the simple answer is, if you are going to fly within 7 days, you can just charge them up and have them ready. If you know you are not going to fly, then what I would do is stick them into the heli, fly for about half the time you normally would, then put them on the charger and hit the storage button.

Hope this helps.

Derek

Thanks, Tony, for moving my thread appropriately. I guess I didn't look around far enough for the proper location.

Thanks, also, for your input on storage. What you had to say does clear things up for me better.

and....it started storming, so my 500 is grounded for now. Figures!

Take care!!!

Tony

Staff member
Send some of those storms down here. We have had less than an inch of rain in months. Very dry and very windy. These fires are taking a toll around here.

Top Bottom