Lee

Today a package arrived.
I'll do a full build on this.

IMG_20141002_184834.jpg

IMG_20141002_184750.jpg

Last edited:

pvolcko

Re: Lees Mini quad build thread.

You either have gigantor hands or motor is the big cousin to the one that makes my phone vibrate. Good lord that's a small motor! :)

Stambo

Yup, they are tiny. They are the same as I have on mine.

I suggest you put them on with zip ties Lee.
That way if/when you hit something you have a built in fail point.
Also the anti vibration balls are very easy to lose, ask me how I know. :)
I have my camera pad mounted with foam now.
When my new balls arrive (and I expect a comment on this :)) I will put either a very small zip tie or some fishing line through them so they don't get lost.
HQ props from Readymade RC seem to be one of the more popular choices, a lot stiffer than the regular Gemfan ones.

Derek

and yet another person I know is building a mini quad. I've got to get on the band wagon soon, lol. I want one so bad. I saw a video of a guy flying a mini quad through his woods and it was just epic. I'm looking forward to seeing your build, Lee!!!

Lee

and yet another person I know is building a mini quad. I've got to get on the band wagon soon, lol. I want one so bad. I saw a video of a guy flying a mini quad through his woods and it was just epic. I'm looking forward to seeing your build, Lee!!!

Get one Derek.
I picked this up from Myrcmarket. The frame was only $16!!! And from what I have seen of other frames, this is really high quality.
The carbon weave is perfect. It has a satin finish like the QAV250, and the cnc cutting is clean.
I had only one issue. Two of the screws that go into the posts, didn't grip. I think the threads in the posts were too big, cause i could almost push the screw in without turning it.
Eventually after swapping a few screws around, I got them all to bite.

Stambo

I have looked at the pine trees on my place and I will do it eventually. :)
I think once I no longer oops the trampoline, they will be next.
If you want to see some through the woods action, check out vegetoast1 and metalldanny on youtube.

Get one Derek.
I picked this up from Myrcmarket. The frame was only $16!!! And from what I have seen of other frames, this is really high quality.
The carbon weave is perfect. It has a satin finish like the QAV250, and the cnc cutting is clean.
I had only one issue. Two of the screws that go into the posts, didn't grip. I think the threads in the posts were too big, cause i could almost push the screw in without turning it.
Eventually after swapping a few screws around, I got them all to bite.

I had the same issue with the posts.
Luckily I had some longer screws lying around. :)

Last edited:

Lee

I'm not keen on the zip tie way of holding the motors on. In a crash I think the zip ties are still stronger than the motor wires, that are so thin.
I have opted for another option.
I have coiled the motor wires to give a stress relief point.
In the case of a broken arm, i'm hoping this will allow the motor enough slack, not to rip the wires out of the motor.
Can anyone see any down side to this?

IMG_20141007_140250.jpg

IMG_20141007_140250.jpg

Stambo

I figure the zip ties are weaker than the arms, so hopefully they will break not the arms.
Them motor wires are fairly weak no matter what you do so in a severe crash I expect to have to replace a motor.
Hopefully I won't have a severe crash. :)
I have had a few crashes but only broken props so far.
Every one I have had has been when I have forgotten to turn on the Mobius.
Convenient huh. :)

Last edited:

Lee

I was thinking more of the arm breaking with the motor still attached to the motor plate of the arm.
I really think that you are going to have to have one hell of a crash to break an arm anyway.
But I can't see my coils doing anything but give a slightly better chance of saving a motor.

yardner

Re: Lees Mini quad .

Lee,
what controller you gonna use on your mini????
and, is this a 250 ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

I have two spare Open Pilot CC3D boards, so one will go in this.
Yes its an H250 same as Stambo and Graham have.

Lee

Tried to do the wiring today. Got fed up with it. A distribution board would be a welcome addition.
Did order 4 batteries today. Zippy Compact 1500mah 35C.

Stambo

My ESCs had enough wire on them to solder them together on to the battery connector wires and squeeze them between the bottom plates.

wolfman76

i want a mini quad but not sure i like the looks of this quad i kinda like the wasp 280 quad that craig(tasajara) has better plus i can mess with it in the house and let my lady fly it to give her the bug.... lol

Lee

i want a mini quad but not sure i like the looks of this quad i kinda like the wasp 280 quad that craig(tasajara) has better plus i can mess with it in the house and let my lady fly it to give her the bug.... lol

These and Craigs minis are not really indoor quads, unless its a sports hall or something.
I have started a seperate clean thread, for the build of this quad.

Top Bottom