Micro Lee's Brushless MCPX Build

Lee

Finally back from Mexico with all my helis :)
So first on the block is my MCPX Brushless conversion.
All my parts came from Hawk-RC except the canopy and Hyperion battery charge lead. They came from Nitro RC Hobbies in the US.

100_2570.jpg

The RKN frame looks decent quality. I'll hold off judgement until i've crashed it a few times :)

100_2571.jpg

I drew a rough sketch of the servo placement just to be sure they went back in the right places.

100_2572.jpg

The servos took a bit of time to fit, and once my eyes have uncrossed themselves from looking at those tiny screws, i will carry on :D motor just put in for test fit.

100_2573.jpg

Servos all done. The ail and pitch servos become part of the structure of the frame that hold the main board.

100_2574.jpg

Main board secured and carbon tail on. Accidentally snapped the wires when pulling the motor off the tail boom. Luckily i needed the wires for the larger motor i bought to replace the weaker stock one.

100_2575.jpg

The new swash from RKN. No more ball links snapping off

100_2576.jpg

The new canopy. You have to stick the decals on yourself. That took almost as long as the rest of the build. :D

100_2582.jpg

Frame replacement all done, new tail motor, swash and canopy done.

100_2580.jpg
100_2577.jpg
100_2579.jpg

So all thats left is to solder the tail motor and the new BL motor to the ESC. Now where did i pack my soldering iron??? :D

Tony

Staff member
That heli looks great Lee. Just wait, that thing will have more power than you know what to do with lol. I have only blown my tail out once, and I was full collective, and full cyclic keeping it from crashing, and the tail turned 90º. It passes my tests with flying colors. I know you got the next motor down, but you shouldn't have an issue with it. Can't wait to see this thing in the air bro!

Lee

Its all ready..... BUT my motor won't spool up :( everything else works, swash, tail. There seems to be a power issue. The motor trys to move but nothing??? Its is free to spin, no binding??? It may be my soldering.

Tony

Staff member
Suck dude. what did you have to solder? If you had to solder to the three small wires, that can be very hard to do correctly. Make sure to remove the protective coating on the copper wires before soldering or it won't work.

Lee

Yep it was those wires. And now i've really messed up. Tried to remove the plastic but instead snapped the wire!!!! These things only have two strands, and they are thinner than hair. Now i have just enough left to reach the ESC but i'm too scared to try again incase i break it again. plus the solder doesn't want to stick to it anyway. Grrrrrrrr frustrated!!!

Lee

Its one of those things Sam. I tell everyone don't rush it. But what do i do? Rush and break things LOL :D Well you live and learn. I will try again today but i may need to order a new motor. :(

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm the same way lol! I lost a wrench for my maxx this morning. I looked and looked all morning before I had to go to work. I'll find it soon has I go home this weekend. It will be right in front of my face! Lol.

Lee

El cheapo solder and iron. I might get someone with more skills to try fixing it.

Whirlybird

I've solder tons of electronic kits, tv's, you name it . . . send it to me Lee :hdbng:

Though . . . you may never get it back :yikes:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
My mcpx is acting up too. I put it back together and it was wayyy too much negative pitch. And almost none positive. Tried everything . Lol

Just like breeze said. I put it up.. I'll look at it tomorrow. Lol

murankar

Staff member
Yes lee take your time and it will come. You just home to so 'Welcome Home". enjoy the time back. Don't forget vids please.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah to solder something that small, you have to have a good iron, good 60/40 solder and a decent lighted magnifying glass. I have done it on hundreds of motors and it's a pain to strip that insulation off the wires. If you order another motor, get the HP05. You can always tame it down. I'm getting good 3 minute flight times with hard stick movements with mine. But I'm also putting some good heat in those 300mah batteries too. I need to order some 550's. If you don't want the power, just tame down your throttle curve. It's worth it to have it.

Lee

Ok so today i tried again. But nope, i think the motor is dead. :( Tried to measure the current through the wires. Two worked and one didn't, so it seems to be internal.
I have ordered a new one from the UK as i can't wait for the slow boat from China any more. Ended up with the same motor but this one comes with plug already installed and pinion too. They did have the HP05 motor but its out of stock :( If i need more power later, i'll order it from them.
So its gonna be another week before my MCPX is airbourne again. :(

Tony

Staff member
Well, that sucks about the motor and the HP05, but this will get you back in the air at least. Hope to see some video soon bro.

Top Bottom