Quad Led lights for my quads

WyDiablo

I"m going to put led lights on my quads and the carbon core X4 650MM runs a 6S battery so I bought this voltage step down to get (9 to 14.8) volts for the lights. Has anyone every used this type of step down? I"m kinda confused about the 3 connections where the power goes into the board 2 of them are +/-. Can you guys give me a hint? Here are the led lights that I bought. Wired 12VDC LED | Pre Wired LEDs and LED Bolts | Accent Lighting | Super Bright LEDs
http://www.rangevideo.com/en/voltage...fast_search=fs

pvolcko

The second link didn't work. Are you working with this? Filtered linear power supply - RangeVideo

If so, there are two input power options. Either solder on your connector of choice to the solder points on the left side (in the image toward the bottom where they mark out your i/o) or connect on the input and negative terminal on the servo type connector point. Then output is on the servo connector across the negative and output positive. The negative on the servo connector pins is shared between input and output.

How many lights do you plan to run? These linear step down voltage regulators are hugely inefficient stepping from 6s down to what is effectively 2S-3S voltage will severely limit the total mA it will supply without overheating (you can add a heatsink to make it supply more without overheating). You'll probably only get 125-250mA without needing a heatsink for a 12V output from 6S (24V) input.

WyDiablo

I plan to have 4 led lights on my larger quad and the current draw is 20mA. I have a voltage step down coming from range video that steps from 12v to 3.3v

pvolcko

Okay, then you'll be fine.

In general all voltage regulators get worse current delivery capability with larger differences between input and output voltage, but linear regulators are horribly inefficient at this compared to switching regulators.

What you got is probably fine and the best bang for the buck for your application. I was just making sure you weren't attaching 1A worth of LEDs to it, because you would have burned up the regulator in pretty short order.

WyDiablo

So the 20mA pull on each light will be fine for that type of voltage step down? I was thinking about the TBS and my new frame I ordered and not the large X$ quad on 6S that I have. Until I realized that it ran on 6S batteries.

Top Bottom